Alpine Set up

jsidhu510

Hello i have a 12" Alpine SWX-1243D Type X sub in a ported box. I recently bought an Alpine M12 amp and it blew 3 fuses so i had to upgrade to the Scorpion ANL fuse/fuse-holder...With two days of use, i have been smelling (like something is burning) from my trunk. I touched my amp, and it was very HOT! What do you guys think the problem is? I pulled my RCA cables and will be taking it back to the shop on Tuesday.

Also, Should i keep my Alpine m12 amp or go with the JL audio 750HD amp? i can still exchange the amp from the shop i bought it from..

3 things come to my mind immediately when you say this:

• Check your gain - make sure you're not cooking your amp. A dead amp's no good to anybody.

• Check your bass boost - I don't care what anybody says, this should be set very low, if at all. It'll cut life from your subs and amplifier.

• Check your voltage - If you're not giving enough voltage to an amp, it has to work a lot harder to try to keep up to the power demands on your sub. Make sure this isn't dropping too low. (It says your amp's rated at 11V-16V, but you probably want to beef up your electrical if it's dropping below 11.5V.)

If all of these are good, I'm not sure what the problem is. But I'm positive somebody on the site can help. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

I went into the shop today, and they popped out the sub and they said it was wired at 1ohm, they changed it and wired it to 4ohms. Does that sound right?

I went into the shop today, and they popped out the sub and they said it was wired at 1ohm, they changed it and wired it to 4ohms. Does that sound right?
Sure does, doesn't look like the M12 is 1 ohm capable, that would've been the cause of your overheating.

no they did not replace my amp, but i have noticed the amp getting a lil warm with 40 minutes of use.

should i keep this amp or get the JL audio 750HD amp?

Thats sounds correct, but did they trade out the amp? or did they stick it to you?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.