Alpine w505 - Bluetooth and Ipod.

a94cobra

Texas
I have the 505 installed. I have the 350BT unit and an Ipod. I have the unit hooked up this way through the Ipod cable off the BT unit. Everything works.

But the manual says, on page 67 under iPOD, "If the Bluetooth box and the iPod are connected at the same time, be sure to disconnect the iPod from the Bluetooth Box while turning ACC to OFF."

What happens if you don't?

I saw that too on another HU I used, an Alpine IDA-X100.

I am assuming the ipod you are connecting to it is an older ipod. If it's not just connect it using the USB connection. If I remember correctly using the optional cable you can't view album art nor stream video to the unit.

I am using an older iPod. 60gb Photo. So no video with that one. And apparently no album art either, even though the iPod does the album art.

I tried the iPod on both ports the Full Speed iPod connector and the USB connection. The iPod connection was way faster in getting the music loaded. The USB interface was 'banking' for a while.

Now it may keep the info upon next use. I will have to research this. Seems like there was another reason I didn't like the USB.

I am using an older iPod. 60gb Photo. So no video with that one. And apparently no album art either, even though the iPod does the album art.
I tried the iPod on both ports the Full Speed iPod connector and the USB connection. The iPod connection was way faster in getting the music loaded. The USB interface was 'banking' for a while.

Now it may keep the info upon next use. I will have to research this. Seems like there was another reason I didn't like the USB.
Not sure if you want to purchase another ipod, but I highly recommend you get rid of your current ipod and purchase at least a 5.5gen ipod video. With the new ipod you can simply connect it using the usb connection, it will give you album art and video capabilities.

IMO using the older ipod your are not using that nice HU to it's strengths. You can find a used 80 gb 5.5gen ipod for around $100.

I was looking at doing that for the video option.

What is up with the iTouch not doing video on the Alpine? Or the iPhone not working with Bluetooth?

I was looking at doing that for the video option.
What is up with the iTouch not doing video on the Alpine? Or the iPhone not working with Bluetooth?
Your iPhone should work beautifully with Alpine's Bluetooth. Mine does. I use the Bluetooth from the Blackbird, but it should work the same with the 350BT.

In fact, I had issues getting both my and my gf's Samsungs to mync up correctly. Same for a buddy's Razr and my mom's Nokia. I called Alpine to ask them which phones would work flawlessly for sure, and the iPhone was their first recommendation. Picked it up and haven't looked back. It syncs up in about 3 seconds whenever I get in my car, and it works perfectly.

I have the older 30g Ipod Video and it works well via the USB cable. Album art works, but I don't have any photos or vids on my Ipod, so I can't vouch for that. When my gf tags along, we plug her Ipod Nano in through the high-speed Ipod cable (KC-422i, or something like that), and it pops up as a second Ipod source on the 505. Pretty cool.

http://vault.alpine-usa.com/products/documents/QRG_KCE-350BT_BT_111208.pdf
This is the compatibility list for the 350. The iPhone is the first one listed as doesnt' work.

http://support.alpine-usa.com/products/documents/QRG_NVE-P1_BT_111208.pdf This is the chart for the P1 and it only has some compatibility.

http://vault.alpine-usa.com/products/documents/QRG_PMD-B200_BT_111208.pdf This is the Blackbird 200 chart. And it shoes the most features with the iPhone.
Those lists are interesting, but inaccurate. It shows that using the Blackbird, you can't view your call history with the iPhone. You certainly can. I use it every day.

I wonder if there are different versions of the modules. Different firmware or such.

Anyway I tried my Blackberry Pearl and it pairs up, but 'no telephone' is what it tells me. It does however give me the choice for BT Audio. I didn't have any music on the phone, so I will have to try that out later.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.