alternator problem

blowthemup
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
My voltage is randomly jumping all over the place, 13-16v. I would say its the alternator going out but the alternator guy is saying it sounds like a battery problem. My XS power batteries are only two years old so im sure they got plenty of life left in them. Is it the batteries, is it the alternator? The alternator also makes a humming sound even when the car is off and parked/locked. Doesn't seem right to me especially since these problems didn't exists when the alternator was new and I haven't changed anything to create the problem.

What do you guys think, whats the bad piece in the equation?

Sounds like the regulator in the alt is bad
Thats what I was thinking also, I mentioned it and he said sounds like a common battery problem. I keep my batteries on a charger quite frequently and there not that old so I dont think its them. How hard is it to change the voltage regulator in one of these things? Would going with an external voltage regulator be more reliable?

Yeah I'd say the regulator as well. When my alt regulator was going out it was doing the same thing. That you described. At idle I was at like 14.5v and at 2-3,000 rpms it would jump up to 17v.

Does anyone else with a Singer Alternator have any noise coming from it when the car is off/key out of ignition. Gonna try and get some video of the voltage jumping around and maybe the noises its making if my phone will pick it up.

Sorry about the bad video quality, filming/driving stick inst easy but you can make out the voltage just fine.

voltage jumping around https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9uPs-ScpZU

noisy alternator at idle https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjQd_BJ5OGM

Last edited by a moderator:
BUMP....updated with videos!!!! Thanks for the help guys and any opinions are appreciated //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

that noise is the resistance a high output alternator has that would usually not be heard from stock as it couldnt make that power at idle. the noise is resistance in the stator against the spinning rotors magnetic field

the noise is normal. its pulsing in the video because his voltage fluctuation causes resistance change in the alternator causing swing in load on the engine.

And swinging load is normal? Cuz I feel like its not..
Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk
swinging load no, thats why i asked if you were referencing the noise when you asked how to fix it as the noise he asked about it normal

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.