alternator problem

And swinging load is normal? Cuz I feel like its not..
Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk
My 320 amp Singer does that. Sometimes when you rev it up quick, voltage will jump to 16v+ for a split second. I'm not too concerned about it because it's not on my stock electrical circuit and my amps haven't protected. I don't think a spike for less than a second will hurt my batteries

It's an adapter that plugs in the stoch plug and one wire to the back pos post in the alt to give a constant 12 volt signal to the regulator
By stock plug, do you mean the one that went to my orignal alternator that's just left unplugged. I was given a new plug with my HO alternator thats wired to my fuse box to turn the regulator on/off with the car. I can wire it to stay on all the time but I don't see what the purpose is. Thanks for chiming in and trying to help me out.

Does anyone else with a Singer Alternator have any noise coming from it when the car is off/key out of ignition. Gonna try and get some video of the voltage jumping around and maybe the noises its making if my phone will pick it up.
Sorry about the bad video quality, filming/driving stick inst easy but you can make out the voltage just fine.

voltage jumping around https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9uPs-ScpZU

noisy alternator at idle https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjQd_BJ5OGM
the altrrnators now n days have built in regulators with a senseing circut to regulat the voltage. sounds like hte circuit or sensor is bad.. first pull the batteery and have it load tested..

BTW if the alternator isnt spinning its not producing any power...

Last edited by a moderator:
By stock plug, do you mean the one that went to my orignal alternator that's just left unplugged. I was given a new plug with my HO alternator thats wired to my fuse box to turn the regulator on/off with the car. I can wire it to stay on all the time but I don't see what the purpose is. Thanks for chiming in and trying to help me out.
No it plugs in there as a pigtail. But there's a wire that is mounted to the pos post

No it plugs in there as a pigtail. But there's a wire that is mounted to the pos post
Not sure I'm following ya here. I do know my alternator use to be quite and had steady voltage so I don't see why I would need to change how its wired/installed. I just got done swapping stock alternator back in and no noises from it and my voltage is stable.

Not sure I'm following you here but either way this alternator use to be quiet and had a steady voltage. I see no reason to change how its installed/wired if it was working fine for two years.

Finally decided to swap stock alternator back in and there is no more noises and my voltage isn't jumping around anymore. Think my problem is solved other than fixing this bad regulator or whatever is wrong with it.

Is the voltage regulator anything special in Singer alternators? Is it something I can get and replace myself?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.