Alternator Voltage

Participant count
  • Participant list

malandrin4o8
10+ year member

My 370A autotech engineering alt charges at 14.8/9V. Is there a way to lower charge voltage to 14.3-6 for a headway battery bank. I know you Can increase voltage with diodes wondering if something similar can be done cheaper without sending to autotech for a different voltage regulator?

You didn't say the vehicle. Some newer vehicles, such as GM since 2005 have external voltage regulators controlled by the ECU, but that's so that you can run lower voltage.
BECAUSE OF YOU RUNNING HIGHER THAN 14V, I'm going to assume (but verify for yourself), that your alternator has an internal voltage regulator. Autotech most likely has their own regulators they install to up the voltage, or modified the factory one, (not sure how they work exactly). I would contact them, but If that alternator has the same case as your factory, then you SHOULD be able to use a factory voltage regulator and swap it out.

The voltage regulator is the most common problem when alternators go bad, and I think the last time I bought one it was about $40. (I would check rockauto). It should be externally mounted, and mine was 2 screws to swap it out.

You didn't say the vehicle. Some newer vehicles, such as GM since 2005 have external voltage regulators controlled by the ECU, but that's so that you can run lower voltage.
BECAUSE OF YOU RUNNING HIGHER THAN 14V, I'm going to assume (but verify for yourself), that your alternator has an internal voltage regulator. Autotech most likely has their own regulators they install to up the voltage, or modified the factory one, (not sure how they work exactly). I would contact them, but If that alternator has the same case as your factory, then you SHOULD be able to use a factory voltage regulator and swap it out.

The voltage regulator is the most common problem when alternators go bad, and I think the last time I bought one it was about $40. (I would check rockauto). It should be externally mounted, and mine was 2 screws to swap it out.
Sorry it’s on a 2003 GMC Yukon Denali. I have a dual Alt set up ( bass has its own charging system).My factory replacement from autozone charges at 14.7 max that I’ve been able to see on my voltage meters. But yes they both have internal voltage regulators non ECU controlled

My 370A autotech engineering alt charges at 14.8/9V. Is there a way to lower charge voltage to 14.3-6 for a headway battery bank. I know you Can increase voltage with diodes wondering if something similar can be done cheaper without sending to autotech for a different voltage regulator?
Call US ALTERNATOR THEY SALE DEVICES FOR SITUtion like that and even have set upside for factory ALTERNATOR like in my tundra where it now pumps out 14.5 hot and 14.8 or 14.9 cold . It made the difference in voltage drop on my factory ALTERNATOR running a 1,000 watt slap jl Amp where my voltage would drop down and would keep going down and I had dropped it down to low 12"s and would have to turn it down worried about battery going dead but that's no longer a problem. It was about$100 fix plug it in to factory wiring and in to ALTERNATOR and done.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...