Amp and subs still get hot after adding second battery

Participant count
  • Participant list
Hi just got done hooking up my C&D 102 AH battery in my trunk, but the subs and amp still get pretty hot to the touch after about 20-30 minutes of full tilt playing...

What should I check for? I connected 0 gauge from the + of the starter to the + of the secondary and grounded the secondary negative battery terminal.

I didn't charge the secondary battery when I got it today because I figured it wouldn't really make a difference.

I'm running an AQ2200d aand two SA12's and the amp is tuned with a SMD DD-1

your running everything at it's max 30min is about normal before things get hot, the only way to get around it is run double the cone space and wattage and listen to it half way then it will only get warm, not really to that extreme but you get the point.

Well the SA12s are only a 2.5" coil, so they do have thermal limits. Running 1k rms to them for 30 minutes is going to heat them up.

If you want to play for longer periods of time, I'd look into subs with at least a 3" coil.

Well the SA12s are only a 2.5" coil, so they do have thermal limits. Running 1k rms to them for 30 minutes is going to heat them up.

If you want to play for longer periods of time, I'd look into subs with at least a 3" coil.

your running everything at it's max 30min is about normal before things get hot, the only way to get around it is run double the cone space and wattage and listen to it half way then it will only get warm, not really to that extreme but you get the point.
It was actually 15 minutes to the store, 15 minute break, and 15 minutes back. Still got hot as **** though.

It was actually 15 minutes to the store, 15 minute break, and 15 minutes back. Still got hot as **** though.
I have went to pull my subs a couple hours after playing them hard and the motor was still so hot you really couldn't hold it for long, as for the amp are you at the lowest ohm allowed for it or close to it?

I have went to pull my subs a couple hours after playing them hard and the motor was still so hot you really couldn't hold it for long, as for the amp are you at the lowest ohm allowed for it or close to it?
Yeah, D4s wired down to 1 ohm. I expected the subs to still get hot... not the amp though.

I have never had good luck running amps at there lowest impedance right now I have my T600.2 at 4ohms per ch and my 16-MC2000D at 4ohms and it does spectacular at that ohm load no voltage drops and all I run is a yellow top / big three /70amp alt and I rarely see anything lower then 12.8 dips on full tilt and my T600.2 gets hotter then my 2000D which would get pretty hot running at 2ohms too but the efficiency is ssssooooo good at 4ohms I see no need to try 1ohm on it.

I have never had good luck running amps at there lowest impedance right now I have my T600.2 at 4ohms per ch and my 16-MC2000D at 4ohms and it does spectacular at that ohm load no voltage drops and all I run is a yellow top / big three /70amp alt and I rarely see anything lower then 12.8 dips on full tilt and my T600.2 gets hotter then my 2000D which would get pretty hot running at 2ohms too but the efficiency is ssssooooo good at 4ohms I see no need to try 1ohm on it.
Meh, hopefully my amp/subs don't start smoking up out of nowhere

Meh, hopefully my amp/subs don't start smoking up out of nowhere
Na never to smoking hot but on a good summer day I could put everything into thermal protect in about 30min when it was all at it's lowest load, now during the winter it all gets warm but never went into protect no matter what ohm load.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.