amp cuts out... but only for a sec

Alright I just talked to my rep again to get all the details. JL audio Hd and slash v2/v3 and all marine amps have "there" special regulated power supply. The amp need to see 13.3v to get full specs, if the amp sees less then 12.2v the amp will shut off(if car is off amp won't run for very long, if at all is what he said)

. They need a second battery to get full specs. They do not recommend these amps in any smaller car with a lower factory charging system or boats without a spare audio battery. Most other amp use a un-regulated power supply in which the amp sees a lower voltage the amp puts out less power.

Alright I just talked to my rep again to get all the details. JL audio Hd and slash v2/v3 and all marine amps have "there" special regulated power supply. The amp need to see 13.3v to get full specs
1200/1v3 - Car Audio - Amplifiers - Slash v3 - JL Audio

This is the V3 version of the Slash 1200. It clearly states it does RATED power at 12.5v. I don't see how this amplifier will shut off getting only 12v for an extended period of time. My original response was much longer but I have decided we'll just have to agree to disagree on this matter, although a source for your claims would be helpful. A technical paper describing your claims, or some sort of proof.....

Also, here are some quotes I found for the manuals for JL amplifiers from JL's own site

Slash V3 series

“my amplifier shuts off once in a while, usually at higher volumes”Check your voltage source and grounding point. The power supply

of the 1200/1v3 will operate with charging system voltages

down to 10V. S
HD Series

Check your voltage source and grounding point. The power supply of the HD1200/1 will operate with charging system voltages

down to 9V
Marine Series

“my amplifier shuts off once in a while, usually at higher volumes.”Check your voltage source and grounding point. The power supply

of the M600/1 will operate with charging system voltages

down to 10V.
MHD Series

“my amplifier shuts off once in a while, usually at higher volumes”Check your voltage source and grounding point. The power

supply of the MHD750/1 will operate with charging

system voltages down to 8.5V.
As you can see, your rep does not have the correct information, which no offense, doesn't surprise me one bit. I've seen this a lot with many people who claim to "know what they're talking about". The quote in my signature couldn't be more true in this scenario. Please don't go off of hearsay, make sure you did the research yourself and confirmed it, and have sources to back up your facts. If everyone did this, there wouldn't be nearly as many rumors or misinformation as there currently is when it comes to car audio.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the V3 version of the Slash 1200. It clearly states it does RATED power at 12.5v. I don't see how this amplifier will shut off getting only 12v for an extended period of time. My original response was much longer but I have decided we'll just have to agree to disagree on this matter, although a source for your claims would be helpful. A technical paper describing your claims, or some sort of proof.....

Also, here are some quotes I found for the manuals for JL amplifiers from JL's own site

Slash V3 series

HD Series

Marine Series

MHD Series

As you can see, your rep does not have the correct information, which no offense, doesn't surprise me one bit. I've seen this a lot with many people who claim to "know what they're talking about". The quote in my signature couldn't be more true in this scenario. Please don't go off of hearsay, make sure you did the research yourself and confirmed it, and have sources to back up your facts. If everyone did this, there wouldn't be nearly as many rumors or misinformation as there currently is when it comes to car audio.
there is a lot of misinformation. I was just checking out the HD900/5 product description on Churchfields site and they have this noted in the product description: Note: There is only one condition that will shut down the HD900/5 completely and that is if the battery voltage of your vehicle drops below 10 volts.

Not sure how this is possible is JLs site states it needs to go below 9?

Anyway i was just contacted back from my seller and they are shipping me a brand new amp as soon as the recieve the defect i shipped them so i should have it in by next wed or thurs. Im going to recheck my grounds as i have a feelin that was causing the problem. Ill update with any changes

there is a lot of misinformation. I was just checking out the HD900/5 product description on Churchfields site and they have this noted in the product description: Note: There is only one condition that will shut down the HD900/5 completely and that is if the battery voltage of your vehicle drops below 10 volts.
Not sure how this is possible is JLs site states it needs to go below 9?

Anyway i was just contacted back from my seller and they are shipping me a brand new amp as soon as the recieve the defect i shipped them so i should have it in by next wed or thurs. Im going to recheck my grounds as i have a feelin that was causing the problem. Ill update with any changes
Yes make sure your ground is good, you should be able to do this with a DMM. Also make sure your gains are set right and you should be good to go //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Yes make sure your ground is good, you should be able to do this with a DMM. Also make sure your gains are set right and you should be good to go //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
thanks man ill be sure to check out that gain tutorial u sent

thanks man ill be sure to check out that gain tutorial u sent
Just remember, even if you do set the gains as instructed in that tutorial you still have to be careful and use your ears. Not all music is recorded at the same reference level. If you set the gains with a 0dB test tone at volume level 30, but then you play music that's been recorded at a 3dB reference level, you will start clipping your amplifier BEFORE you actually hit the volume level 30 you set your amplifier with on bass heavy material.

Just remember, even if you do set the gains as instructed in that tutorial you still have to be careful and use your ears. Not all music is recorded at the same reference level. If you set the gains with a 0dB test tone at volume level 30, but then you play music that's been recorded at a 3dB reference level, you will start clipping your amplifier BEFORE you actually hit the volume level 30 you set your amplifier with on bass heavy material.
I am a little confused about this. About 90% of whati listen to comes from my Ipod (have 1000s of song files). I really have no way of telling what files had been recorded at. Does this mean to properlytake care of your system you have to change your gains often???

I am a little confused about this. About 90% of whati listen to comes from my Ipod (have 1000s of song files). I really have no way of telling what files had been recorded at. Does this mean to properlytake care of your system you have to change your gains often???
No you'll only set your gain once. Think of it this way, you know how sometimes your listening to your music, and for some reason one song is just louder than all your other songs even though it's at the same volume level on your head unit? That's because the louder sound was recorded at a higher reference level compared to the others.

So on songs like those, you can't turn it up as loud as you would other songs without clipping the amp. I can't tell you what volume on your head unit this will be, and neither can anyone else. You need to listen carefully when playing songs like those. What you're listening for is any distortion and turn down the volume once you do notice it. You'll also want to pay attention to the smell of warming coils/glue. That is also a give away you are clipping your amp (this is assuming your subs are broke in, new subs will have that smell at first). Honestly I wouldn't worry about it to much, just keep it in the back of your mind in case one day you smell something weird coming from the subs or start to hear distortion.

Let me know if that makes more sense.

No you'll only set your gain once. Think of it this way, you know how sometimes your listening to your music, and for some reason one song is just louder than all your other songs even though it's at the same volume level on your head unit? That's because the louder sound was recorded at a higher reference level compared to the others.
So on songs like those, you can't turn it up as loud as you would other songs without clipping the amp. I can't tell you what volume on your head unit this will be, and neither can anyone else. You need to listen carefully when playing songs like those. What you're listening for is any distortion and turn down the volume once you do notice it. You'll also want to pay attention to the smell of warming coils/glue. That is also a give away you are clipping your amp (this is assuming your subs are broke in, new subs will have that smell at first). Honestly I wouldn't worry about it to much, just keep it in the back of your mind in case one day you smell something weird coming from the subs or start to hear distortion.

Let me know if that makes more sense.
Makes a lot more sense. I do notice how some songs at times dont play as loud and need to be turned up a little more while others may play too loud meaning they dont need to be turned up as high. As long as the music is not getting distorted all is well is the point you are trying to make? Thanks

Makes a lot more sense. I do notice how some songs at times dont play as loud and need to be turned up a little more while others may play too loud meaning they dont need to be turned up as high. As long as the music is not getting distorted all is well is the point you are trying to make? Thanks
Exactly //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif In time you'll come to know how loud your subs can get and what their limits are.

Slash V3 series

HD Series

Marine Series

MHD Series

That cool bro, but like I said I asked my rep whats going on AFTER I had this problem several times. Like I said I've ran my shop for 12+ years and have never seen a series of amps that have done this. I asked him what's going on he that's what they told me(3 different reps) ever since I found this out I have not had a problem. Because it is kinda weird that everyone has these problems when there volume is up high and all it says is the amp can go down to a certain voltage. On the box these series of amps say "what" they will run at I just think there flat out wrong.

We are the 3rd biggest dealer of JL product in America as a company now. I don't know why I would be getting wrong info on this matter.

That cool bro, but like I said I asked my rep whats going on AFTER I had this problem several times. Like I said I've ran my shop for 12+ years and have never seen a series of amps that have done this. I asked him what's going on he that's what they told me(3 different reps) ever since I found this out I have not had a problem. Because it is kinda weird that everyone has these problems when there volume is up high and all it says is the amp can go down to a certain voltage. On the box these series of amps say "what" they will run at I just think there flat out wrong.
We are the 3rd biggest dealer of JL product in America as a company now. I don't know why I would be getting wrong info on this matter.
If by some chance your reps are correct (let's say they are) having a bad ground... Which I may have could be a reason in the voltage drop. If that was my problem and I fixed my ground my amp should receive the proper voltage and not shut out anymore correct?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.