amplifier problem.

Participant count
  • Participant list

timo38

Hey guys,

for the past 6 - 8 months ive ran my Alpine MRV-F450 5 channel amp with 2 bridged Alpine type R splits with 8g power and earth wires, and its ran just fine.

about a week ago I decided to make use of my 5th channel (sub channel) and I bought a DVC JVC CS-GX2200 12" subwoofer, I hooked up the sub, and it played for about 5 seconds and the whole stereo cut out and the amp went into protection mode (red light came on). Since then I have disconnected the sub and now my amp cuts in and out and goes into protection mode each time.

I have checked all my connections and ground point and all seems to be in check which has really left me scratching my head.

Im hoping i havent fried my amp :|

If anyones had any similar problems or knows of a possible cause please feel free to help //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

An hour a day of driving with no music is very dull!

Im a major greenhorn with the car audio technical side, would you be able to tell me how to check for volt drop and ohm load?

also would 8 gauge be too small for what im running?

Im a major greenhorn with the car audio technical side, would you be able to tell me how to check for volt drop and ohm load?

u need a voltmeter set it to 20 volt dc and go to the amp while it is playing bass hvy songs and make syure the vlotage is above 12 volts ( you cant do this because u siad ur amp is stuck in protect? ) for ohms set it to the ohms scale or continuity and probe the speaker terminals.

then check the sub for ohm reading un hook it no power use the speaker wire to the sub but disconnected from the amp. i bet you are running it below the amps minimum load. is it a dual coil sub? if it is ur fawked lolz

That battery is small but I dont see that causing your problem.

I would check voltage at the alt, batt, and amp and compare them all under the same load. That will get you started.

Iraggi

yeah its a dual voice coil, youve got me all worrried now haha :|
•50 watts RMS x 4 + 200 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms

•60 watts RMS x 4 at 2 ohms + 200 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms

•120 watts RMS x 2 + 200 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms

your amp is only 4 ohm stable x 1 channel for the sub ur fawked i bet ya smoked it.

That battery is small but I dont see that causing your problem.
I would check voltage at the alt, batt, and amp and compare them all under the same load. That will get you started.

retardedhicksister****er
he never said anything about a battery so stop posing as Dom you ****ing ***.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.