Amplifier Recommendations please

facialcrunch

CarAudio.com Newbie
Florida
Hey guys. I have a Kicker Dual CompR 43DCWR122 box powered by a Kicker CXA1200.1 amp with bass knob. The car is pretty loud but the amp has a 25hz subsonic filter that filters out all the really low bass. I really want to change the box for a custom box with a pair of Sundown Audio SA-12's but before I do that I'd like to replace the amp first. I figure I'll need a new amp anyways and I'd like to see how the kicker subs will actually sound on a better amp before I swap them too.

Can I please get some recommendations based on the Kicker sub box I currently have and considering I may switch to a Sundown dual SA-12 box?

I was looking at the Taramps Smart 3 amp (3000W) and the Sundown Audio SFB-3000D (3000W). I know I can put a bass knob on the Sundown but don't see one for the Taramps???

WHat do you guys think or do you have a better recommendation?

THANK YOU

Im curious why you want to eliminate something that protects your speakers . You can not hear notes that low and anything below 25hz is damaging . The best thing you could add is a paragraphic equalizer . Both pieces of your equipment have a range of 20-250hz . Looks like a good setup you have if the 1% distortion doesnt bother you .

Im curious why you want to eliminate something that protects your speakers . You can not hear notes that low and anything below 25hz is damaging . The best thing you could add is a paragraphic equalizer . Both pieces of your equipment have a range of 20-250hz . Looks like a good setup you have if the 1% distortion doesnt bother you .

There are definitely deep bass tones that aren't coming through as I can hear them missing from the music. If the low end of the range is 20hz but it filters at 25hz then why is the low end 20hz?

It seems I would notice a difference with a 3000W RMS amp anyways though right? Or am I wasting money? Thanks

There are definitely deep bass tones that aren't coming through as I can hear them missing from the music. If the low end of the range is 20hz but it filters at 25hz then why is the low end 20hz?

It seems I would notice a difference with a 3000W RMS amp anyways though right? Or am I wasting money? Thanks
Just because its there doesnt mean you want to use it . My eq is rated at .001% distortion . Can I tell its that clean . Yes . But my ears would think the same at .05% . The rest is bragging rights . You could also have resonance coming from your car that cancels certain notes .

Just because its there doesnt mean you want to use it . My eq is rated at .001% distortion . Can I tell its that clean . Yes . But my ears would think the same at .05% . The rest is bragging rights . You could also have resonance coming from your car that cancels certain notes .

Yeah that's a good thought. Would a 300W RMS amp give be more bass and better sound though compared to what I have?

Rule of thumb is the more watts the more spl . Smaller amps can sound better though . Put a top of the line Zapco or JL against your cheaper amps and you will hear a difference . Im in the same boat as you somewhat . I just installed a couple Punch 12's . Im missing something on certain songs like ACDC . I think I can get some back with my 3rd octave eq when I get it put in but a lot has to do with the box volume . I personally dont like some of this newer gear they make . Im old school . You cant get a darn top of the line 200 watt woofer . Everything is 1k watts or more . Back in my days you lost your hearing . The stuff they make now will damage your brain . lol

What enclosure is the Kicker in? Swap to a well designed and built box and it will probably be night and day difference.
If you are wanting to play whale fart lows I would do a Sundown X over the SA. An X on a Smart 3 would be a great match.

What enclosure is the Kicker in? Swap to a well designed and built box and it will probably be night and day difference.
If you are wanting to play whale fart lows I would do a Sundown X over the SA. An X on a Smart 3 would be a great match.

The kicker subs are in the factory made box so I'm assuming it should be made to the specs of their own speakers? It seems to be really solid and well built. I'll definitely look into the X subs. Thank you.

Do whales fart through their blow hole? (I know most women don't.)

Nahhh remember kicker saying "anything under 40hz is a waste of information"
This still largely applies if you're listening to real music played on actual musical instruments and trying to achieve "reference levels". Inb4 lowest harmonics on a pipe organ.
Critical bass frequencies in most music if you spin through a radio dial will be 40-60hz.
That said, most prefab boxes are tuned a bit high but I have seen a couple kicker prefabs that tune mid 30s and sound really quite good with the factory loadout.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.