amps are draining my Battary

for a while i had the same problem.and i finally went out and bought a 1 farad capacitor from lightning audio.and it made a big difference.but now that i have three amps,(each pulling 100 amps of current)i need a little more juice.soyes,i would recommend a lightning cap for now.

A cap should help, but your amps should not be draining your battery unless you are playing the stereo with the car not running. If your battery is being drained I would suspect 1 of 2 things. Either you have a weak alternator that cannot properly charge your battery, or you have a faulty connection in the amp wiring system which is draining your battery with the car off. Use a volt meter and test for power draw through the amps power cables while the car and stereo is off.

concurr with josh and natem; the cap will help, as would a higher amp alternator, but understand that playing your stereo with your engine off at either loud volume or for an extended period of time will not only drain your battery, but shorten your alternator's life (I learned the hard way!). If you have the space, you might even consider adding a second battery with a splitter(solenoid). That would help on both fronts. Also, most voltmeters don't have the high current reading capability that's required to do as natem described, so look at it first before you fry the poor thing--it should be able to meter up to at least 40 amps to be on the safe side, or just go to a shop where they have those handy inductive devices to read current. And finally, some amps that have regulated supplies can actually start ******* current like there's no tomorrow once the voltage drops below a certain level; kind of a snowball effect. Or, if you've got a class A amp(class D are the best at getting more power with less current draw).

To clarify my thoughts of using a voltmeter, I suggested using the meter to test for any power draw that a faulty amp or wiring could be drawing while you're car and stereo is off. If there is a faulty connection somewhere there could be a minor power draw which would slowly drain your battery down whenever your vehicle is off. This also fries alternators. I wanted to clarify this from dcsoundguy's theory of having the amp draw tested while the system is running.

xlnt trblshooting idea, natem, I quite agree with u ther...th prob still stands with th volt/ohm/"ampmeter", tho, as most units only read in th milliamp range, unless u know of one that reads amps(that isn't $$$$$!!!!)

I have a rather cheap voltmeter (about $30). It has variable settings that allow me to test for AC or DC power including over 12.5 volts from a vehicle. I'm no mechanic, but I have a mechanics electrical trouble shooting guide which I followed. I used this method to find out what was drawing power from my battery (my battery was very weak every morning after sitting). By using this voltmeter I was able to determine that there was power being drawn from an amp while the power was off. I brought it in for warranty repair and they confirmed that there was some sort of short in the amp that was allowing power to be drained while it was off. by using the voltmeter I was able to determine that power draw was present. THe amount of power being drawn wasn't really an issue, just the fact that power was being drawn.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.