Anyone put sounds in a new silverado?

Participant count
  • Participant list

kauai808
10+ year member

kauai
I'm just about to start my build and was wondering if there was any tips or things i should be concerned about with hooking up the wiring. I did one on my 03 silverado but it was just kind of slapped together. I wanna make sure I have this one perfect. thanks.

I found out that you can run the wires from the bat. down the fender, up under the frame rail and then under the back seat there are a few grommets on the floor. Some trucks are rubber and some are metal like mine. We drilled the grommet, ran the wire and another grommet. Then I need to caulk it up. My buddy did it to his truck and he just did mine and saved me hours of work. No need to try and fit those big cable through that crowded grommet in the firewall. As long as you hide the wires real good and secure them, then its solid.

Hope that helps someone someday.

I would make a hole for the power wire,

You can go thru the main power gromit into the cab,

or drill a new one not very hard if you have a friend to spot you for 2minutes..

running under the cab is just asking for it..

Really? Even if I put that black plastic over the wire and secure it so it won't get snagged? I don't think it should be a problem.

Really? Even if I put that black plastic over the wire and secure it so it won't get snagged? I don't think it should be a problem.
As long are your not a dumb@ss you should be fine. Make sure you cover the wire with a good jacket, Techflex works really well. Make sure you do not run close to the exhaust and make sure its secured very well and out of the way. You can buy rubber cable screw downs at HomeDepot fairly cheap.

How do you figure?
Road debris can kill wire. Start to eat away at the insulation.

It's much safer to run it inside the cab. Most cars have over-sized grommets where you can simply get a razor and cut up it, then push the wire through. This is what I did for my brother's truck. Only ran a 4-awg wire, but I could probably fit 1/0 in there. He has an '03 F-150 single cab, btw.

Road debris can kill wire. Start to eat away at the insulation.
It's much safer to run it inside the cab. Most cars have over-sized grommets where you can simply get a razor and cut up it, then push the wire through. This is what I did for my brother's truck. Only ran a 4-awg wire, but I could probably fit 1/0 in there. He has an '03 F-150 single cab, btw.
Thats why I stated getting a good jacket for the wire so that you are not relying on just the insulation around the cable to protect it. Use a jacket that is weather/chemical resistant. Also make sure its properly fused.

Thats why I stated getting a good jacket for the wire so that you are not relying on just the insulation around the cable to protect it. Use a jacket that is weather/chemical resistant. Also make sure its properly fused.
A hole is less expensive than a good jacket... and a lot safer.

I'm not saying you CAN'T run it underneath. I'm just saying I'd run it in the cab.

A hole is less expensive than a good jacket... and a lot safer.

I'm not saying you CAN'T run it underneath. I'm just saying I'd run it in the cab.
True but sometimes the ease of running it underneath is worth the extra expense. Some people don't want to take out their interior to properly run wiring, and 1/0 is not easy to hide in some vehicles.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.