Anyway to test speakers when buying used?

Participant count
  • Participant list

MrOneEyedBoh
10+ year member

Md,USA
Im looking at a set of used Rainbow SLC265s. I found their trail , and the guy just bought them from someone off of CA.com on 5/2013. The guy before that had them since 07 and said he ran them off of headunit power then 125rms amp for a a short while. ( Again this was the previous owner before the guy selling them to me ) The guy selling them said never used them, and he went with a set of CDTs ( has me wondering why he would go backward... ) Isnt rainbow better then CDTs?. Hes giving me 3 days to yay or nay them, but my install wont happen between now and then. So is there anyway to the health of the speaker outside of ohm'ing it out? Since they are 4ohm, does anyone know he threshold scale of acceptance for ohms? Also Ive seen people say to test them on a home stereo. I can do that, but what about the tweeters? Hook them up to the center channel?

editeD: Any way to tell Rainbow fakes? Here is the original thread http://www.caraudio.com/forums/speak...omponents.html . Im not saying the guy now selling them is trying to get over, but maybe the first owner maybe knew? Im just looking at for me.

Hook them into the crossover as you would in your car and hook em up to home theater to test, can always also put them on a DMM to check resistance.

Oh your link doesnt work.

use a double aa battery
For?...all that's good for is a speaker Popper or check polarity..

Use the passives and anything that has a speaker lead out. To check the suspension of the woofer..push on the cone with EVEN pressure and see if it's stiff.if it's real easy to push the speaker may be close to being done,if you hear a "scratching " sound,coil is bad.

For?...all that's good for is a speaker Popper or check polarity.. Use the passives and anything that has a speaker lead out. To check the suspension of the woofer..push on the cone with EVEN pressure and see if it's stiff.if it's real easy to push the speaker may be close to being done,if you hear a "scratching " sound,coil is bad.
This,and a DMM as well

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.