Are these amplifier settings correct ? (pictures included).

mastershake575

CarAudio.com Veteran
Dallas
Running a soundqubed two channel amp with a pair of ground zero 650SQ speakers Uranium GZUC 650SQ-II

Electrical has been upgraded (Singer 270A alternator with XS 3400D battery).

My speakers sound like crap. At medium level volume the drivers side door will start to cut out but the sound of it on medium is pretty good. The passenger side speakers sounds like the vocals are coming out of the mid and not the tweeter. I notice when i go over a bump on the road the drivers side speaker will get significantly louder for a few seconds.

The headunit is the Alpine 153. I've tried both manual mode with everything on flat and the bass engine mode which is there mode for SQ. Both modes sound like **** (I currently have a headache).

I"m thinking theres something wrong with the amplifier tuning. Here's a picture of the settings

biDYzV6.jpg

Curious if the X-Over should be set to Full (its on HPF)

no it is wrong

1) the gain should NEVER be all the way up

2) turn the HPF adjustment up some more, you are sending everything to the door speakers and not filtering out any of the bass.

no it is wrong
1) the gain should NEVER be all the way up

2) turn the HPF adjustment up some more, you are sending everything to the door speakers and not filtering out any of the bass.
Sorry I wasn't clear with the picture (since the dial is just a flathead, it could technically be read two different ways).
The gain is at 11 o clock and the HPF is at a little above 12 o clock

ok, turn your high pass filter down. You want freq above 80 to go to your door speakers. I would aim for 8 or 9 o colock

Why not use your headunit crossovers (does it have them) ?

If head unit crossovers are advailable I just set the ap to full pass

yeah if u can use hp on hu do that so u have digital # to set it at.. if u can't that hp over says 20-5k so u really need to set pretty close to where the 20hz mark is, just up off it a little, play speakers then adjust it up a tad if u hear them distort but with that wide range u know 1/2 way would be like 2500hz so keep it much lower than 1/2 even 1/4 is to much if xover is right.. ps those speakers look good..

I did HPF at 9 o clock and Gain at 10 o clock.

Driver side speaker still cut out and volume was not loud at 27 out of 35 volume.

I balanced it to play only out of the passenger side speaker and i noticed that nothing is playing out of the tweeter (i put my hand over the tweeter and it sounded the same as my hand without).

I also tried setting it to full pass and got the same results.

I'm wondering if I need to rewire all the speakers or if it could potentially be either a fault amp or a faulty ground wire.

Driver side speaker still cut out and volume was not loud at 27 out of 35 volume.

I balanced it to play only out of the passenger side speaker and i noticed that nothing is playing out of the tweeter (i put my hand over the tweeter and it sounded the same as my hand without).

I'm wondering if I need to rewire all the speakers or if it could potentially be either a fault amp or a faulty ground wire.
diff. check wires be great if u could test another amp on them.

This install is all kinds of fucked up lel

What are you doing upgrading alternators and buying xs batts if you dont even know how gain and crossovers work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What are you doing upgrading alternators and buying xs batts if you dont even know how gain and crossovers work

What does him not knowing how to set his amp have to do with upgrading anything

My honda only had a 70A alternator and has an electric load detector that keeps the alt voltage low to save on gas. As a result I had to buy an alternator to up the amps and to bypass the load detector or there would of been no way I could of done much with stock.
The person who installed the monoblock/built the box actually knew how to set the gain/crossover. The problem was I got someone else to do the front speakers and it looks like that was a bad idea.

I have a PPI 900.4 laying around so I'll hook it up later this week to see if I can rule out malfunctioned amp as the issue.

You need to start ruling out potential issues. Start by unplugging the signal cables from your amp. Then set the xover to full on the SQ. Turn off the bass boost and set the gain to about half. Then get something that plays music like a smart phone, tablet, ect....., and run a cable from the headphone out to the main input on the amp. Turn the volume all the way down on the new source and play some music. Make sure your music player app is set to flat (no filters or eq). Slowly bring up the volume and do some listing. If you still have the same problem, you know its somewhere between the amp and new speakers, and has nothing to do with the other parts of the system. If it sounds OK, you're going to have to do more checking. But start off with that. Personally, I feel its most likely a setup issue that can be fixed with little to no money spent.

You need to start ruling out potential issues. Start by unplugging the signal cables from your amp. Then set the xover to full on the SQ. Turn off the bass boost and set the gain to about half. Then get something that plays music like a smart phone, tablet, ect....., and run a cable from the headphone out to the main input on the amp. Turn the volume all the way down on the new source and play some music. Make sure your music player app is set to flat (no filters or eq). Slowly bring up the volume and do some listing. If you still have the same problem, you know its somewhere between the amp and new speakers, and has nothing to do with the other parts of the system
I don't have an AUX cord that can do both left and right at the same time (would it be fine to just plug the aux in the left, test it, and then plug it in the right and test it ?).
If the problem still existed then would that mean that the headunit and RCA are both ruled out as the problem ? (the problem would have to be the amp, wire, or speaker ?)

your speaker wiring is fked. There's nothing wrong with the amp settings however i would put it on full pass and use the head unit's high pass filter instead but thats besides the point of whats wrong with your setup.

However thats just my intuition due to you having someone else do the door speaker install. The proper way to test is what's suggested above. Get an RCA y splitter to aux and do the phone to amp test to see if issues occur. If issues occur than its either your speaker wiring or the amp. If it doesnt occur than its the RCAs or head unit.

2nd, unrelated to your main issue, for sound quality wise I would not use that soundqubed amp and actually use the PPI 900.4 bridged for 2 channel mode with rca splitters. A lot more clean power.

Also gain needs to be even lower. soundqubed amp's gain knobs are sensitive and your alpine has a strong pre-out voltage so your gain should be around 8 or 9 oclock instead if you have your volume at 33 or 34 out of 35

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.