Basic Remote Start Q's...

Participant count
  • Participant list

98gtx
10+ year member

NY
Hey guys. Just need some basic info on autostart systems. I'm not interested in the alarm feature- can I just buy an autostart kit? Any recomendations?

Here's a little info- 2003 Chev Tahoe. Not sure if it has the Passlock or not - but when I insert the key, the seats and everything adjusts- so it has memory keys if that effects anything. I've read some posts that the PAsslock has to be deactiviated with another component.

Is most of the install done in and around the steering column? I would imagine a relay has to be installed to activate the starter, and something else to activate the key-on electronics... I have a general idea of what has to happen electronically and mechanically as well, but just want to see how big a deal it is to put one of these systems in.

I have tons of experience with mechanical and electronic work. I've wired everything from sound systems to snowplows. But never installed an alarm or autostart system. I'm good with wiring and following directions so I would be confident that I can tackle this install.

Thanks alot in advance.

Well I'll try and answer your questions...but I like to be able to look at cars before I can give definite answers when it comes to rem. starts.

Most likely you have a passlock system- you'll need a bypass module, and an extra coded key if that is the case. The module is installed with the key inside of it.

There are usually around 7-10 wires that need to be hooked up on the DEI brains that I work with for the remote starts- 4-5 of them are on the ignition harness, usually right next to the steering column. You won't need a relay if you are just doing a remote start.

As far as what to get...look into the Valet 561R. Made by DEI, never had a problem with one. Can be had for around $50 or so- we sell them for $60.

In addition to the remote start itself, pick up a Directed 457G module. This will bypass the Passlock system, operate the door locks, arm and disarm the factory alarm and control the memory seats, all through the data bus wire.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.