Bass Boosted songs off YT bad?

TheCandyMan
10+ year member

MI
:confused:So I tried searching the forums and this thread got closed otherwise I'd a bumped it...

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/general-discussion/530872-bass-boosted-songs.html

^^ also in that thread a dude hoes on Gucci Man Swing My Door and that song pounds so hard on ANY system how can it be clipped to shiiiit?

My question is... Are Bass Boosted songs off Youtube horrible for ur subs even tho that **** SLAPS HARD AS ****!?! lol:confused:

Also is there any members here that can boost songs if requested the proper way IF it is bad for your subs?

Thanks in advance.

heavy bass boosting is fine if you set your amp with a 0db or +5 db tone lol

its loud because you're soft/hard clipping your equipment - depending on how you set you amp of course. clipping isnt always a bad thing.

It really depends upon how the file was uploaded ie: the level when it was placed into an mp4 format and what it was when it was exported. Ill upload a screen shot from audacity of one of the songs uploaded on youtube and the re-downloaded.

From one of my songs re downloaded. ( this is a section of the main line that repeats)

audacity_1.jpg

What slight clipping may look like. The original track didn't have quite this much but from moving it around this happens.

audacity1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
SOME Youtube videos are really clipped to hell. It is obvious just listening through headphones or a normal system. Also, it is better if they are 480P or higher. Some tracks sound garbled at lower bitrates.

Most of the ones I have found by people who boost songs on the reg have pretty clean tracks. I haven't analyzed them with Audacity, just careful listening on decent headphone before I put them in my cars.

I don't download music off youtube anymore, should of said that. It's a low quality nightmare you think youtube wants you to be able to get music off them?

Boosting the bass in the song only does one thing - it changes the relativity in level between frequencies above and below the boosting corner frequency. Minor details would be whether the Q of the boost is wide or narrow, or if it is a shelf boost.

Other than that, if the applied boost has clipped the input section during production (creation of the music file), you will always be playing a clipped waveform during playback no matter what volume level. Which brings us to the one and only important factor for playback through your system - average power vs. time vs. your thermal limits.

ClippedWaveform40V-640x297.png

Your amplifier has voltage rails that represent your headroom. So long as you never exceed that headroom, you will never clip your amplifier. You might very well be playing someone's clipped music file but you are not clipping your amplifier. At least, not until you are actually exceeding your amplifier's rail voltage.

200805_sinewave_clip.jpg

But think about it. If you're playing a file that has heavily clipped waveforms, then when those waveforms actually do hit the hard limits of your voltage rails, there's actually not much being clipped by your amplifier. It was already clipped off in production.

Doesn't matter, though. Brings us right back to average power vs. time vs. your thermal limits. Bottom line, if you have a very powerful amplifier and you are playing heavily clipped waveforms that reside in the music file, you are greatly increasing the exposure time of continuous average power in the form of heat to the voice coil. Even if your amplifier is not struggling with this because you are nowhere near your headroom limits (power clipping), your voice coils may be. That continuous average power is analogous to straight DC current as seen by the voice coil. Especially if you are actually experiencing power clipping.

This is why today's compressed, over-normalized, or even clipped music, is not so good for your drivers. But so long as you are very familiar with the limits of all of your equipment, you can play distortion to your heart's content. I do at times, although it usually resides in the midrange as something crunchy that was intended by the artist. Electronic music and such.

So it could be or couldn't be bad for your subs it all depends on who edited the original track?
Analyze it with audacity.

Part of this vid shows it. Leave on annotations.

once you know what DB level the songs are, set your gains with the appropriate db test tone to match it. If those songs are usually -3 to 0 db, set your gains with a 0 db test tone and use sub level and volume control to fine tune.

Number 1 rule is, if you turn it up and it stops getting louder, you are already at a heavy clip, turn it back a few volume/sub level notches.

So it could be or couldn't be bad for your subs it all depends on who edited the original track?
Yes. That, combined with how loud you are actually playing the track.
This applies to all frequency ranges and drivers.

The issue with youtube is that if you do not encode the video file correctly then it loses its original quality and eq's change.

If done correctly then original format uploaded will be used at 480p.

You can convert a decaf song to mp4 and upload it to youtube, but if its not using the correct settings then playing it thru a car audio system will have clipping.

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.