Weak Bass

7saiin

CarAudio.com Newbie
Bahrain
I installed a skar svr 10 inch wired to 1ohm, hooked it to a nvx 1000.1 amp, set the head unit to max clean output, i set the subsonic to minimum and lpf to max, with the amp gain knob to min and bass knob to max i played a 40hz test tone and adjusted the gain using a multimeter to 28.28v (800rms), then played a 30hz test tone and adjusted the subsonic to read out 14.16v (the amp subsonic used 12db so i multiplied the unfiltered voltage 28.28 by 0.501), then played a 80hz tone and adjusted the lpf to read 14.16v too (the amp lpf used 12db so i multiplied the unfiltered voltage 28.28 by 0.501), but in the end i feel that the subwoofer is weak not putting performance as i expected, what could be the issue? (my wiring is all correct, big 3 installed with 0 gauge, 0 gauge to the fuse block and 4 gauge to the amp power and ground)

You have set the filters wrong. For example 80hz for the low pass is where the filter starts reducing output, not the 12db point.
from what i understood is when youre trying to target the 80hz mark for the lpf on a subwoofer using multimeter, the manual says the lpf uses 12db, so using the formula i took the unfiltered voltage multiplied it by 0.501 cuz thats the number for 12db and i got 14.16v, so i started lowering the lpf gain until the multimeter reads 14.16 thats how i knew i hit the 80hz mark, thats the way i know how to set the lpf and subsonic precisely with a multimeter

What kind of music are you listening to? If you played 0db test tones and listen to rock music for example, it's going to be way quieter. I think the bass in rock music will max out at about -6db, but I could be a little off on that number.

What kind of music are you listening to? If you played 0db test tones and listen to rock music for example, it's going to be way quieter. I think the bass in rock music will max out at about -6db, but I could be a little off on that number.
i listen to everything tbh but mainly rap

from what i understood is when youre trying to target the 80hz mark for the lpf on a subwoofer using multimeter, the manual says the lpf uses 12db, so using the formula i took the unfiltered voltage multiplied it by 0.501 cuz thats the number for 12db and i got 14.16v, so i started lowering the lpf gain until the multimeter reads 14.16 thats how i knew i hit the 80hz mark, thats the way i know how to set the lpf and subsonic precisely with a multimeter
That is incorrect. 80 hz is the starting point of the filter. Not the 12 db down point. In other words, 80hz is the highest frequency that has full output. Above 80 is when the filter starts to take effect.

Maybe voltage loss? I always set my LFP to 80 and on steeper slope with no noticeable SPL loss.

Playing a sine wave is a lot easier on your amp/voltage than regular music that has rapid bass because the amp has to use power to get the sub moving and even more power to get it to stop so fast and also music is much more dynamic and the impedance changes a lot through the song.

Try getting a voltage reading listening to different types of music

Also the tuning frequency and box volume with drastically change the way it sounds from song to song. I had a 15 inch subwoofer in a box 4.2 net cubes tuned to 32. I hated how saturated it was around the tuning frequency while having as low as half the output on slightly higher notes. Pretty much it was only good for 50hz or lower

Also try turning sub to different firing positions. I can't tell you how many times I've been disappointed with the way mt sub sounds only to turn it 45 degrees and gain much more and tactile feeling

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...