best place for paint job

They dont do a thorough job of cleaning. and if they tape off the lights and handles there's a chance of the paint pealing,,,and the reason to wash it is when you paint you stir up the dirt in the wheel wells and under the rockers....they usually sand the scratches and scuffs the rest of it..
this is exactly right. i have seen some maaco jobs and man, were they awful. hardly any prep work and they just tape things off and paint around them. i suppose if it's just a work vehicle or something and you don't care, it would be a good, cheap option. since it is a chain store, though, you do run across the occasional person who actually cares and does it right. but that's all luck of the draw.

i took my truck to a reputable shop that has been in business for almost 30 years. custom body work and a full paint job including fanged racing stripes and a hand-pinstripe.... the job should have cost a normal customer between $12K and $15K. obviously mine was a custom situation but you get what you pay for. just my two cents.

good luck!

well i am looking to get the whole truck repainted becuase the guy before me got in an accident and i never noticed it until the painter today showed me that the driver side front panel and the driver side doors had been repainted and they did a horrible job its a dull looking paint and no shine to it at all and u can see spots in the paint where they messed up so i think maaco would do a decent job for 1k bucks for a whole repaint i guess it wouldnt be too bad if nothing else i can complain and ***** at them and maybe get them to do a better job and do it again or just file a claim and get the money back

and not looking for nothing crazy paint job just stanard same original color as the truck is so no need to paint teh door jams and all that

There's nothing wrong with Maaco. I've seen them do some great work. Like someone else said, check out their previous work, since a lot of them vary in quality.

A clear coat paint job will run you 1K from them. More if you want them to do good prep work. Otherwise, they just sand it down a bit and paint on top.

ok yea i will call tommorow a shop close to me and see what kind of work they do for what kind of prices and decide then might just say screw it and not worry bout it

imo 1k whole vehicle paintjob isnt going to be anything special. i would get the panels fixed and have the rest buffed out. i would check other body shops though instead of ford. good luck

thats what i figured i would do that or say screw it and not worry bout it and get it all repainted if i decide to keep the truck

well i heard about maaco paint jobs is they do no prep work they dont remove trim pieces and stuff that should be and they dont sand all the exisiting paint down and dont prime it they just spray over the existing paint and put a clear coat on so i dont think that would look that good

how hard is it to sand and prime myself

well i heard about maaco paint jobs is they do no prep work they dont remove trim pieces and stuff that should be and they dont sand all the exisiting paint down and dont prime it they just spray over the existing paint and put a clear coat on so i dont think that would look that good
how hard is it to sand and prime myself
They will, but it's an extra charge. I think an additional 4-5 hundred gets you the entire care sanded down to the metal. Otherwise it's just light sanding. But if you're trying to save money, you really don't need it done perfectly. They do not remove trim pieces unless you pay them for that as well. Although they do prime before every paint job except for their cheapest one. The Maaco paint I have on my car has been on for two years and still looks the same. No peeling or oxidation (and it's the single-step paint).

My only complaint is that they got overspray on one of my wheels. Not much, but they should have removed it.

ok so for 1k bucks i should be able to get a dcent paint job with like them sanding all the paint off and putting like 2 coats of paint on and 2 clear coat finishes or whats sufficient, and do you have any pics of your car you can post, just wanting to see if it has the shine finish like dealership paint or the cheap dull looking paint

and i think i will remove the trim piece and all the embelms to prevent them from spraying or anything like that you know

ok so for 1k bucks i should be able to get a dcent paint job with like them sanding all the paint off and putting like 2 coats of paint on and 2 clear coat finishes or whats sufficient, and do you have any pics of your car you can post, just wanting to see if it has the shine finish like dealership paint or the cheap dull looking paint
and i think i will remove the trim piece and all the embelms to prevent them from spraying or anything like that you know

For 1K, they will not sand down to bare metal and give you primer and four coats of paint. They will only do some light sanding and a three layer paint job: primer, paint, clearcoat. You won't get any special kind of paint - just a one tone gloss. Any additional work is extra - that's how they keep their prices so low. If you want them to do it right, it gets costly and they are capable of good work.

Removing the trim and emblems would be a good idea. Sorry, I don't have any good pics. But it looks good in the sun and is relatively bright for the burgundy that it is. The triple step paint would look even better. I saw some really nice looking paint jobs coming out of their shop when I was there.

ok also my truck is two tone so i guess they will charge more money for that and i have pinstripes down my truck that have to be removed and replaced and they are like 150 bucks a piece at ford so i think i will just get fixed what i can by insurance and pay to get the rest buffed myself i guess

I took my car in for a earl scheib paint job about a year and a half ago. It actually didnt turn out bad for the $399 I paid for it. Though I wish I had asked for a separate clear coat though. I didnt even know what a clear coat was at the time lol. I just assumed paint shined when waxed. Mine has an integrated clear coat.

It turned out alright. The paint is peeling at some of the seams. They also got overspray in a few spots. My paint is warrantied for 5-6 years against peeling. So I can get it fixed free of charge Im pretty sure.

MAKE sure you remove headlights/trim. You will regret it if you dont.

Anyways, heres a pic after a wash and wax.

untitled-2.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.