Best Sound for the price. What speakers to get?

Mitchyv
10+ year member

Well, I'm stuck with a bit of a dilemma on what to buy to replace my blown upfront speakers.

My price range is 60-70 dollars

the amp I will be running them off of is a bazooka EL260

http://www.bazooka.com/products/mobi...-amplifier-P71

60 wats a channel at 4 ohms, 95 at 2 ohms

I was thinking of running 2 polk db571s at 4 ohms

http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CF8Q8wIwAA

or 2 infinity kappa 682.9cf at 2 ohms

http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CF8Q8wIwAA

But I have heard a lot of good things about the Cadence 6.5 components that in this price range

The only thing is I have never installed components and it would be a lot of modifying to get the

6.5s to fit. And I'm not sure I'm up for the work. My goal is to get loud, or I should say louder, then what I previously was, with Rockford Fosgate 5x7s upfront running of the hu. Sound quality is more important to me over loudness though. I would appreciate any advice on what speakers to get

those infinity kappas will get loud if you like bright highs you'd probably be happy... they don't have much of any midbass though
mid bass is what my systems lacking

and I cant have a bigger budget im a broke high school kid. I just am trying to get the most out of the little money I have

You have not mentioned what kind of amplifier you have? If you run speakers off the head unit, I wouldn't count on getting good SQ or loudness (not at the same time at least). I'd indeed plug in a pair of cheaper speakers, such us Alpine Type-S (free 5x7 adapter is included).

However, I personally often question the decision of limiting speaker budget to under $100. While some cheaper speakers can produce pleasant sound, I am not sure if its wise to spend just $80 given all the work involved in upgrading and amplifying new speakers in many cars. You will likely find flaws eventually and end up upgrading.

I think some speakers in the range $120-$180 are a step up. Polk MM, Alpine Type R, Kenwood Excelon KFC-X1730P, Pioneer G-series. Etc. The later two are fine when you don't have an uber amplifier with 2x80watts RMS or more (but you still should have an amplifier imo). If you want good mid-bass, get Alpine Type-R components and run around 100-120watt RMS to them. You won't be disappointed. I have the old model SPR-17S which is still available for sale. Once settled in the tweeters also produce a full but fairly smooth sound on flat EQ. The new Type-R models are called SPR-60C are supposed to have even better midbass than SPR-17S, but I heard that tweeters have changed significantly. Despite the 110watt rating, they supposedly become more sensitive, so a more modest amplifier could drive them in theory. The cool thing about all Alpine components is that they come with a free adapter for 5x7/6x8 holes, so that saves you like $10-$15 right there. In any case, going from coaxial speakers to components, cheap or expensive, will usually be a big step up with a good tweeter placement.

mid bass is what my systems lacking
and I cant have a bigger budget im a broke high school kid. I just am trying to get the most out of the little money I have
A lot of Best Buy locations have Polk DB and Alpine Type-S speakers on display. Go there, and crank them up to see which ones you like..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.