box design help

Participant count
  • Participant list

chet

I need help with designing a 5ft cubic box with 50 sq inches of port.

Rec. sealed 1.25 cu. ft. ported 2.0 cu. ft. 20 sq. in. X 15 L Max. sealed 1.5 cu. ft. ported 2.5 cu. ft. 25 sq. in. X 15 L each by mmats. there 2 procast 12s my outside box deminsions are 15 high 36 wide 40 depth. going in a trunk ..any help thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
dividing a ported box can be a risk. if both chambers arent exact, you will get different internal volume, which also changes port tuning. it just has to be done tight and accurate is all. you could double port a single chamber box also, for aesthetics reasons. i have never worked with that particular sub, but i would assume that the port tuning should be between 32-40 hz in 2-2.5 cubic feet per sub. 50 sq inches of port area should work fine. The rule i used when building was 10-12 sq inches of port for every 1 cube of internal volume, when using slot ports.

not sure what matts specs would tune to but im looking for something for lows 30ish 32 sounds good this is my first build so nor real sure how the tune difference will sound like.

Typically you won't want separate chambers in ported alignment. It's not terribly practical unless you have a very compelling reason to do it. The main reason you'd ever want to do it is if you were planning to compete, separate chambers ensure that if one woofer fails the rest don't unload and start breaking. There may be other cases made for it, but you'd be getting into some complex applications.

for some reason I was under the impression that it would be easier for me to separate the chambers. but I see how a slight miscalculation will make one chamber bigger than the other and give different tuning. I watched a video and that was how the guy made it I thought it looked nice but he probably had a reason for it like you said. thanks for the insight

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.