Budget 12s - Thoughts?

jolly_26
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
So after blowing a 15" the other day I decided it was time for a change. This time I'm going ported, and am keen on something that will move the most air for the least coin, while maintaining sound quality.

Can't be bothered building yet another box, just don't have the time for it really, so keen to buy boxed.

Anyone had any experience with these? Can't find out if its 250rms and 4ohm per sub or for the entire box? Also anyone know anything about factory kicker boxes? In the long run I will most likely swap the subs out for something else anyway.

KICKER Dual 12" DS SUB BOX Vented | Trade Me

Oh and this is NZ prices; a Soundstream T5-12 will set you back $499, just to put the price into perspective.

hifonics HFI / HFX 12's , 68 bucks for a pair , will handle about 150 over the rated RMS , and my bud phatboi pulled a 139.x with a single HFI 12 on 400 RMS awhile back. Best Cheap 12" out there IMO.

I would look for a Boston Acoustics G1 12. I did a 137 in a box tuned to 35hz, so it was still very musical. they are only rated 200wrms but don't let that deter you, I have run 500wrms to one and it didnt get warm or bottom out or have any sort of issues at all. They run $60-75usdollars

Cheers guys thanks for the help, did some more looking about and I cant find any of those subs in NZ //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif so does anyone have any experience with those above? Or these FUSION 12' SUBS (2) IN BOX | Trade Me ? Unfortunately those are my only two factory boxed options that I can buy new. Unless a set of Sony Xplods in a ported box turns up, any thoughts on these?

Unfortunately we only get the really mainstream brands here, or brands that are already importing other products, so sony, philips, fusion, soundstream, JVC, Kenwood, Pioneer, and not much else.

cheers guys thanks for the help, did some more looking about and i cant find any of those subs in nz //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif so does anyone have any experience with those above? Or these fusion 12' subs (2) in box | trade me ? Unfortunately those are my only two factory boxed options that i can buy new. Unless a set of sony xplods in a ported box turns up, any thoughts on these?
Unfortunately we only get the really mainstream brands here, or brands that are already importing other products, so sony, philips, fusion, soundstream, jvc, kenwood, pioneer, and not much else.
megafail!!!

hope your not trolling but back on topic to OP. hpw much is your budget? and well what are your max box dimensions what car do you have whats your main goal, what amp do you have

hope your not trolling but back on topic to OP. hpw much is your budget? and well what are your max box dimensions what car do you have whats your main goal, what amp do you have
Sorry had to go to work, car is a Mazda Sentia, budget is $300-$350 NZ incl. shipping, want to have bass that you feel as much as hear, and that can really fill out my system at high volumes. The amp is a Fusion PP-AM20001, so 750RMS at 2 ohms, 1150RMS at 1 ohm. Easy to just adjust gain as appropriate though. Cheers.

hope your not trolling
is that aimed at megafail guy or fusion>kicker guy?

OP is in New Zealand. Very limited choice of brands and shipping anything good there would be prohibitively expensive I suspect.

OP is in New Zealand. Very limited choice of brands and shipping anything good there would be prohibitively expensive I suspect.
Yup pretty much. Might just pick up that boxed set in the OP, or the fusion one in #5, and play with the porting a little for tuning, the subs will probably be swapped out in the long run so any thoughts on which box would be better?

EDIT: also, would those subs be fine after four years in storage?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.