Can a dual coil sub work in a single coil box?

PuZo
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I'll be getting a dual coil sub soon and not knowing much about dual coil, just assumed it would fit in a regular box. But once I did some asking around, I learned that it has 2 wires, 2 positives and 2 negatives. So is there anyway I can use it in a single coil box, single meaning only 2 wires? Can I twist them together or no? Thanks

Well yes. Dual Voice coils are used for wiring options.

What amplifier are you going to be using, and Dual 4 or Dual 2 ohm subwoofer?

It will still work, you just have to make sure you wire it correctly.

And DO NOT just hook up one voice coil.

I'll be getting a dual coil sub soon and not knowing much about dual coil, just assumed it would fit in a regular box. But once I did some asking around, I learned that it has 2 wires, 2 positives and 2 negatives. So is there anyway I can use it in a single coil box, single meaning only 2 wires? Can I twist them together or no? Thanks
lol I hope you know how to wire it to the right ohm setting, and yes it should fit if it's the same size being the cone daimiter is the same. I have two dual voicecoil subs and only have two wires coming out of the box. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif

IDQ D4 v.3 and a DLS A6

so I believe I can hook it up to 2 ohms, but how. There are 2 terminals on the amp that I can connect it to, would I just connect it to 1?

So I guess this is what I want

1_4ohm_dvc_2ohm.gif

So would I just take 1 positive from say side a, and a negative from side b, or vice versa.

Lastly, the box has wires going from a plate(dunno what its called, but you connect your own set of wires from the sub to the amp), would I just twist those together? Thanks alot guys!

IDQ D4 v.3 and a DLS A6
so I believe I can hook it up to 2 ohms, but how. There are 2 terminals on the amp that I can connect it to, would I just connect it to 1?
Wow your getting this really nice equipment but have no clue if a "single coil" box will work for it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

just like the drawing shows a wire from amp to sub and then the jumper wires if ur only running one sub you will only need one spkr wire from ur amp what u are doing is parraleling (SP) the voice coils
What are the jumper wires? Would I just do whats in the diagram? Would I just need 2 wires? Also since the amp has 2 connections and it is still a monoblock amp, would it matter in which positive and which negative it goes into? Thanks

It depends on what ohm load you want..

Whats ohms you might be thinking, its resistance to electrical current, so less ohms = moar powar from your amp.

SO figure out what ohm load your amp makes the most power at and wire accordingly.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.