Can I just swaps this sub to my amp or no?

Participant count
  • Participant list

kurtfromct
10+ year member

CT
Ok here is the deal, i have a JL J2 500.1 mono amp powering a 10" Alpine type-r. Im almost positive the type-r is 4ohm. Yesterday I bought a JL 13w7 and a 1200w Kenwood amp to go in my beater car. The car still needs work so I don't want to put the W7 in yet. What I was wondering is could I unhook the type-r in my truck and hook the W7 up temporarily? Is it just a matter of disconnecting the type-r and putting the wires in the W7? The W7 says and it says "3 ohms final independence" on the box. I had someone install the type-r and amp for me so im not 100% sure on how its wired and what not. All i know is I bought 4 gauge wire and never had an issue in over a year. I know 500w is totally underpowered for the W7 the sub but it would only be a temporary thing. Thank you

there is no such thing as under powering a speaker.

Just disconnect the + and - speaker wire from the typr box. and take out the box. then put the jl box in. and connect the + and - speaker wire.

I did some reading and found the amp i have says "rated at 340 watts RMS x 1 into a 4Ω load, 420 watts RMS x 1 into a 3Ω load, and 500 watts RMS x 1 into a 2Ω load."

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.