Cant Win For Losing

Participant count
  • Participant list

bgowdy
5,000+ posts

Heroes are remembered, but legends never die
So i was just driving around, no bass, have the sub control on HU was completely off. and all of a sudden i hear somthing that sounds like "pop corn" or something and my wife looks in the back says my amp is rolling smoke.... So needless to say the amp fried with out using the bass. Does anyone have a clue what could cause this?

Just because you weren't using the amplifier doesn't it mean it wasn't on (obviously). There's a lot of different things that could have gone wrong and you've given us very little information. Gut pics of the amp would be a good place to start...

Just because you weren't using the amplifier doesn't it mean it wasn't on (obviously). There's a lot of different things that could have gone wrong and you've given us very little information. Gut pics of the amp would be a good place to start...

cant open up amp it would void warranty(idk why but it does) but its the board that burned the smell on the RCA side of amp(where gain/bass boost settings ext are) is way worse then smell on the side were my power ground and remote go. i really didnt know bad rca signal could cause a amp to fry

rcas still plugged in amplifier still receiving signal and prolly ahitty signal
i remeber before i was having a rca problem with a previous amp. one of my cables was giving feedback and the other was not.

but when i switched amps it stopped(i think) and thought it was fixed but that may be the problem

but anyway im not using bass boost at all, i think my gain may have been 1/2 way up or alil below, and theres a deal with my pre out on my hu.

the amps setting reads pre amp sensitivity 1v-2v or 2v-8v, i set it 2-8 because thats what i was told. but the hu pre out is not 2v-8

I know the problem. It a Planet Audio. But really something could of shorted out inside and made contact with something it shouldnt have

i figured someone would say. but yea i figure it could have just been a defect, something could of got messed up during shipping. it really didnt seem packed very good.

but like a above can a bad rca signal cause a amp to fry

whos been through several amps??? the memphis was a loner.... ive been through 2 this year. my sundown was stolen and this fried i havnt had anyother amp. ive used planet audio amps before and never had a problem i know planet audio is cheap but never hurts to try. this was just a freak accident. hell it wasnt on. probly a defect part.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.