Cea-2006

tb30570
10+ year member

Neither of the following amps are CEA-2006 compliant. Can I trust their power ratings? If so, why aren't they compliant?

MB Quart DSC450

50x4@4-ohm (not CEA-2006 compliant)

2.70x9.45x11.02

$87 new

Hifonics Txi4408

55x4@4-ohm (not CEA-2006 compliant)

2.36x9.07x12.60

$115 new

CEA: Membership Directory - Membership Directory
click the M and scroll down Maxxsonics is cea compliant //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
CEA says Maxxsonics is a member, but I'm not sure if that mean all their products are compliant. I did find some Autotek products made by Maxxsonics that are advertized as CEA-2006 compliant. Sonicelectronix says MB Quart DSC450 & Hifonics Txi4408 aren't CEA-2006 compliant, but they might not be right either.

The Hifonics Txi4408 amp has a 50 amp fuse and is rated as 440 watts RMS at 2 ohms. That means they would have to be around 64% efficient, which sounds about right for a class A/B amp..

The MB Quart DSC450 amp has a 40 amp fuse and is rated as 400 watts RMS at 2 ohms. That means they would have to be around 72% efficient, which is either really good for a class A/B amp or too good to be true.

Crunch is also made by Maxxsonics. I looked at Crunch's P900.4 which according to Maxxsonics puts out 900 watts RMS at 2 ohms but only has a 30 amp fuse. The amp would have to be 217% efficient. Maybe it uses cold fusion or runs on solar power. It looks like this Maxxsonics amp couldn’t be CEA-2006 compliant to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know how it's possible for the Autotek to be CEA compliant either, but Sonicelectronix says it is. It has a 30 amp fuse and is rated at 800 watts RMS @ 2 ohms. That would be around 193% efficient. How in the world could an amp like this be compliant?
Autotek SM4-800 (sm4800) Multi-channel Amps Car Amplifiers Car Audio Car Audio, Video, & GPS Navigation - Sonic Electronix
IIRC the CEA 2006 standard is 1% distortion @ 4 ohms with 14.4 volts of input! Any other impedance isn't in accordance with the CEA standard!

just a heads up there are ways to get around those standards, if you give CA manufactures a standard they will find way around it sooner or later.

Last I check most of your High end amplifiers don't use the CEA2006 standards because of the 14.4v rating,Maxxsonics is a CEA member that doesn't mean that all of there amplifiers are compliant to those standards, if I remember right it is pretty expensive to have the amps rated , so it wouldn't make alot of sense to have there budget amplifiers rated, when the target consumers for those amplifiers wouldn't know what CEA2006 is and most wouldn't care

The Crunch and Autotek amps you quoted do not list RMS figures, it says MAX right in the listing. I believe the RMS is half of the MAX wattage listed on the Maxxsonics amps that do not have the RMS value listed.

the new lines say they are
brutusandzeus.jpg

IIRC the CEA 2006 standard is 1% distortion @ 4 ohms with 14.4 volts of input! Any other impedance isn't in accordance with the CEA standard!
It's too bad they only rate 14.4 volts and 4 ohms. I don't think I've ever run a amp on subs at 4 ohms un-bridged. I hope they revise the standard to give it more teeth.

The Crunch and Autotek amps you quoted do not list RMS figures, it says MAX right in the listing. I believe the RMS is half of the MAX wattage listed on the Maxxsonics amps that do not have the RMS value listed.
good catch! I tend to be warry when the company doesn't want to even publish a RMS rating.

I'm sure if I buy another Rockford Fosgate 400A4 (assuming I can find one) it will be a good amp. If I can't find a 400A4 at a good price, do you think my MTX Thunder404 really puts out any less power than the Hifonics Txi 4408 or MB Quart DSC450? The Rockford, MTX and Hifonics all have 50-amp fuses and the MB Quart has a 40-amp fuse. I'm pretty sure they are all class AB amps.

They're all a/b amps. There are very few full range class d multichannel amps out there. They'll all be around the same power, so I wouldn't really worry about it too much. Also, if you need a 4 channel amp I have a minty Eclipse EA3422 that does 50x4 and has 50amp fusing.

They're all a/b amps. There are very few full range class d multichannel amps out there. They'll all be around the same power, so I wouldn't really worry about it too much. Also, if you need a 4 channel amp I have a minty Eclipse EA3422 that does 50x4 and has 50amp fusing.
I ended up buying a used Rockford Fosgate 400a4 off ebay for $101. I already have one of these amps, so I know it's good quality (supposedly the last year RF made good amps).

rockford fosgate car stereo amplifier used 400a punch - eBay (item 250569024310 end time Jan-31-10 09:29:45 PST)

I'm going to put the MTX Thunder 404 in my Wife's Sebring.

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.