Chevy k1500 inaccurate temp gauge, Reads high

Participant count
  • Participant list

firecat225
10+ year member

Hey guys I have a 92 k1500, Temp gauge reads 230 when coolant is in fact 195*. I threw a ohm meter on the temp sensor off the head and when the gauge is where i want it to be the ohms read 280. Where the gauge is at currently (230*) it reads 210 ohms. The sender is good, starts at 1000 ohm when cold, drops as engine warms. reads 175 in boiling water like it should. question is how can i get my gauge to read correctly???

So you have tested the sensor. How about the gauge and wiring. And are you sure you have the right sensor. Some of them GM truck have two sensors. One for the temp gauge other is for the computer. What motor is in it.

You have the check the wiring and gauge side now. Although I would still replace that sensor they go all the time. Not doughting your diag skills.

Now trying to remember this. But if you discount it with key on engine off the gauge should full sweep to highest reading. Then if you jump the two wires with key on engine off still the gauge should full sweep back. If it does not you have a problem in the wiring and or gauge. Im pretty sure its a two wire setup for the gauge. One should be the power(sense wire) and other ground.

I replaced both sensors, I know of the one on the manifold by the coolant elbow is for ecm readings, I know the gauge reads off the one on the head between #1 and #3 cylinders. it just has one wire that comes off and goes into the harness, the unit itself grounds itself from the block. I know of the sweep process if you unhook the sensor and ground the wire it will peg itself, These gauges have been known to go on the fritz, i'm assuming the stepper motor inside the cluster is just worn out and is now reading inaccurate.

So you really had all the answers already. Yeah, I couldn't remember if it was a one wire or two. Did look it up today. Well If all the wiring is good to the gauge you know the gauge is bad. You could always get an aftermarket temp gauge from like a local auto parts place and wire that in.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.