Choosing an amp

Alright. I'm down to 1 amp and 2 subs. DC Audio XL 12" vs Sundown Audio Nightshade v.3 (same low distortion and high bass output as Sundown Zv4). The amp would have to be a DC Audio 5.0k. Let me know what you guys think. Also how would I wire the subs and amp to make a 1 ohm load; to match rms on woofers and amp?

EDIT: Now that I look at them in more detail, I see that with 2 2ohm DVC subs and a mono amp wired to 1 ohm to match rms on them is not possible. I'd have to get 2 DC 3.5k in order to run 1 ohm all around.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 250 amp alt and a XS Power 3400
Just get a properly designed custom enclosure tailored to the TS parameters of your subwoofer and you will get balls to the walls loud like never before. Also its not mentioned but All the brands I listed including your choices can easily handle 0.5 ohm daily if your electrical system is good enough, They are competition level amps, top tier in the competition world atm, korean built(best place you can get an amp built besides EU and NA) Which means they are extremely reliable and overbuilt tanks, you have guys running them at .125 ohms at 16 volts at competitions for burps without the amps dying.

However, One XS 3400 might not be enough. You might need another XS 3100 in the back for reserve backup. It would be an overall easier install for you if you have the additional battery too since these amps require multiple 0 gauge runs for power input and a few extra batts in the back would mean less wire running through your car. After that, you are good to go. Make sure you never put those subs in a prefab box bought online... It'll destroy those boxes within a week.

Just get a properly designed custom enclosure tailored to the TS parameters of your subwoofer and you will get balls to the walls loud like never before. Also its not mentioned but All the brands I listed including your choices can easily handle 0.5 ohm daily if your electrical system is good enough, They are competition level amps, top tier in the competition world atm, korean built(best place you can get an amp built besides EU and NA) Which means they are extremely reliable and overbuilt tanks, you have guys running them at .125 ohms at 16 volts at competitions for burps without the amps dying.
However, One XS 3400 might not be enough. You might need another XS 3100 in the back for reserve backup. It would be an overall easier install for you if you have the additional battery too since these amps require multiple 0 gauge runs for power input and a few extra batts in the back would mean less wire running through your car. After that, you are good to go. Make sure you never put those subs in a prefab box bought online... It'll destroy those boxes within a week.
Care to explain what it is about having a strong electrical system that makes .5 ohm easier on semiconductors in your amps? How many of those companies will warranty their amps run at .5 ohm if they break?

Where would I get a custom enclosure? I'm not good at woodworking. I should mention that I have overall 2 XS 3400. One for main and one in the trunk. I connected and fused both of them with 2 runs of 1/0 wire. Got 2 similar runs from alt to main batt. Fused 2 runs of same wire from 2nd/trunk batt to my old HiFonics before it died. I grabbed 2 sets of these Toolmaker 6 1/0 Input Battery Terminal - Droppin Hz Car Audio to make life easier. The enclosure is my real problem besides coming up with $$$ for the subs.

[quote name='bs199sg']Where would I get a custom enclosure? I'm not good at woodworking. I should mention that I have overall 2 XS 3400. One for main and one in the trunk. I connected and fused both of them with 2 runs of 1/0 wire. Got 2 similar runs from alt to main batt. Fused 2 runs of same wire from 2nd/trunk batt to my old HiFonics before it died. I grabbed 2 sets of these Toolmaker 6 1/0 Input Battery Terminal - Droppin Hz Car Audio to make life easier. The enclosure is my real problem besides coming up with $$$ for the subs.[/QUOTE]

hit up @CSCStang here's pictures of his work, phone number is on the page too. https://www.facebook.com/Cscstang-customs-544782418996602/photos/
He builds and ships to your door at very good pricing. vs the 500-600 dollars car audio shops charge you.

If you wanna get loud and save some money man, Get two soundqubed hdc4 12s D1s and you should have money for the amp and box while still getting loud as fk with good sound. OR you can get a DC level 5 M2 15 instead (it'll take that 5k amp if you only wire to 1 ohm). OR buy used. I get all my gear used bro, Look up local classifieds and local facebook car audio classifieds.

On facebook there's loads of community groups/classifieds on there too like sounqubed only, DCaudioFTW, Sundown only. All have pretty good deals on great gear.

Just use paypal and make unboxing videos and testing videos to cover your @ss and you should be set to file a dispute and get your money back just in case **** happens.

I like those DC level 5's. Was looking at Sundown Audio Nightshade v.3. 2 12's of them would fit nice in my trunk. I decided on 12's b/c it seems to be the best all around; for quality and spl. I listen to a variety of music; some dubstep and some heavy metal. How would the Sundown and DC I listed compare? They cost around the same from where I was looking.

I will contact @CSCStang and see what is going on with that enclosure.

Ok. I'm still looking, but the DC Audio 5k, Crescendo BC5500D, AA-5000.1, IA20.1 look very nice. What about subs? SQ + SPL? I can only find some that have just SPL.
I can help ! With your budget I can set you very nice. But I need more from you. I.e. How's your electrical ? What car ? How much room are you willing to use for a sub box ? And goals ?

Also the lvl 5 subs are 3500 rms each you'll need at least 8k On a pair of them If you want sq and Spl your build. Box mistletoe will be very important

What subs first? I like the Sundown and DC. I already bought an amp. DC audio 5k. That's 2500w rms per sub if wired down to 1 ohm.
both are fine , and so are the ampere audio 3.0 I can give you prices on the dc subs or the aa subs the sundowns only if your in cali tho

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.