clipping issues..........

Your issue is caused by your hu? That's strange. Hopefully your settings/eq are at 0 or flat. If they are, then the clipping at the amp is caused by the amplifiers settings. What amp/sub/electrical upgrades/wire size? Also what impedance is the sub(s) wired for?

i don't think a clipped input signal would cause amp failure. What do you means by "Rca wise"? over driving your amp, incorrect amp fuse sizes, and improper power and ground would most likely cause amp failure. seek professional help if you can't get your settings right. if it sounds bad when you turn it up then it's not set right. You need a complete description of you system for the guys here to help you

I know the bashing is going to start with the equipment i have put in my daily driver...but here it goes, i have a knock off touchscreen with a subwoofer output that puts out around 1volt conected to a y adapter due to mono output, my subwoofers are wired to a boss audio 5000 watt at 1ohm both subwoofers are the kicker cvrs...Dont get my wrong i know its all garbarge but the boss phantom is putting out around 1500 rms at 1 ohm and this thing fing knocks! Then again it could be because i removed the back seat in my buick lasabre to get optimal bass lol. As for the wiring knock off 4 ga kit i am installing an addition four gauge power and ground tomorrow. The issue with the amplifiers have been this i just recieved my 3rd one two day- On the first amplifier the bass cut in half even messed with gains and bass boost, everything ive kept the gain at around 40% and and the bass boost at around 9 db. So its not like im over driving the amp.

As for the second amp the amp stayed on no protection light just no sound.

The third amp im going to install after i put secondary four gauge pos-neg wires.

Volts only drop at max 12.1

Every fail is an issue with the sound output on the amplifiers, i no there junk but they should work for longer than 48 hrs, and i typically will only play at high volume for a song maybe two. i had a kicker kx1200.1 on these two at one point and to be honest its built better internally but sound is off the charts with the boss. Anyone willing to donate a mmats 3500.1 lol jp.

Maybe it has something to do with my rcas themselves, i notice when i pulled them out of the package coming from a dual amp wiring kit it looks like they just connected rca ends to speaker wire, its thick but ive never seen wire like this.

Turn off your bass boost on the amp all the way. Bass setting on headunit 0 at least, negative even better. Upgrade rcas if you feel they are substandard. Get a solid ground.

These should help your clipping problem.

So the amp breaks after a day or two when you get a brand new amp? If so. I bet the head unit isnt doing anything to kill the amp. Usually would have to do with voltage drop or having the subs hooked up wrong (not knowing the ohms are to low for the amp or something)

So the amp breaks after a day or two when you get a brand new amp? If so. I bet the head unit isnt doing anything to kill the amp. Usually would have to do with voltage drop or having the subs hooked up wrong (not knowing the ohms are to low for the amp or something)
Now that the equipment is in the open, Input sensitivity + Bass boost = bad for the amp(s) Plus the boss amp may say its "Stable at 1-Ohm" but I doubt it is, look up the real specs via sonicelectronix.com. If it's a phantom series, I know first hand it is not stable at 1-Ohm. It may perform (briefly) at 1-Ohm, but it won't last.

Not sure about the other amps. FYI 12.1 is a serious voltage drop, you're destroying your battery IMO.

RCA's could stand to be upgraded from your description. I've found shielded RCA's (Kicker KX-Line for ex.) don't pick up distortion. Distortion could be a factor, but I doubt that's what's killing your amps.

Inadequate ground + Input sensitivity set too high + Bass boost on + Substandard RCA's + Voltage drops = Amps inputs/outputs going bad.

Amps will power on, but no output.

Had a similar problem, only it was due to bad ground and a battery that's on its way out. This caused my inputs to heat up and separate the wire from the solder point of the input terminal. I was brave enough to open the amps up, found the wires separated, hit them with a dab of solder and they worked fine. I have yet to find a better ground or hook a system up since figuring this out. I recently made the jump from "Garbage" to Quality equipment. Was running an Audiobahn A1300-HCT (1400w Max, supposedly 1,1000x1@1-Ohm RMS.) Once the inputs gave out, I picked up a Kole Audio KX1-2000D (2000w Max, supposedly 1,000wx1@1-Ohm RMS.) Inputs gave out, posted in the sub-woofer forum suspecting my Subwoofer (Rockford Fosgate Power Series T1 12" D2 (T112D2)) was causing my amps to give out. Gave all the info I could, took pics of everything from my power wire to where my ground was bolted. Bad Ground + Battery on its way out + Amps that don't do rated power = Not clean power and amps giving out.

/rant

Hope the above helps. Best of luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
the boss phantom is wired to one ohm and the gain is set at 40% and bass boost is at 8, head units bass it typically set at -1 or -2 due to the fact all speakers are stock. As for the amplifier its self it doesnt get that hot but then again i dont go on 30 min trips anywhere. When i have it turn up and its seriously loud the subs have very little if any distortion coming from them. the voltage dropping to 12.1 is only at the stop light when im driving it stays at a constant 13.2- 14 honestly its a very efficant amplifier.

Just because you can wire it to 1-Ohm and it perform, doesn't mean it's stable. Getting hot, no matter if it's "not that hot" is still bad for an amp. I'd recommend finding a different amp and hocking the one you have on craigslist for whatever someone will pay.

What's the impedance on your CVR's?

In my opinion bass boost should never be used. Do as you wish.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.