Component crossovers and bi-amping?

Participant count
  • Participant list

ZPilot
10+ year member

So here's my first stupid noob question. I did some research to no avail.

Most speaker component sets come with passive crossovers to mount between the amp and the speakers. In bi-amping, you're supposed to put the crossover in the line before the amps to split the input to the amps.

So can you take the crossover provided with the speaker set and use it to split the signal to the amps? (I don't want to get into the active v. passive discussion unless one or the other is severely discouraged for this application. ) I will be using high level inputs because the owner likes his OEM stereo //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

I am looking at doing a system with 3 way Focal separates and biamping the tweets/mids to one channel pair and the bass to the other channel pair.

Actually, I wanted to use a 4 channel amp, using 2 channels for the highs and 2 channels for the lows. Does this make any sense? I might be better off using a low wattage 2 channel for the highs and a high wattage 2 channel amp for the lows.

Thoughts?

So here's my first stupid noob question. I did some research to no avail.Most speaker component sets come with passive crossovers to mount between the amp and the speakers. In bi-amping, you're supposed to put the crossover in the line before the amps to split the input to the amps.
That's not bi-amping. That's active.

Bi-amping is simply powering the tweeter and woofer with independent channels through the passive xover. It's still located between the amplifier and the speakers, but instead of only having a single input into the passive, you have two inputs per passive...one for the tweeter from one amplifier channel, one for the woofer for a 2nd amplifier channel. You, henceforth, need 4 channels of amplification to bi-amp a 2-way component set. But you are still utilizing the passive xover to cross over the signal to the drivers.

So can you take the crossover provided with the speaker set and use it to split the signal to the amps?
No. The passive crossover can ONLY be used between the amplifier and the speakers with an amplified signal. It can not be used to split a preamp level signal, or to split the signal between multiple amplifiers.

(I don't want to get into the active v. passive discussion unless one or the other is severely discouraged for this application. ) I will be using high level inputs because the owner likes his OEM stereo //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif
You can not use a passive designed for speakers prior to the amplifier with high level inputs because the input impedance of the amplifier is much, much, much higher than a speaker's impedance, and this would render the passive completely useless.

I am looking at doing a system with 3 way Focal separates and biamping the tweets/mids to one channel pair and the bass to the other channel pair.
Actually, I wanted to use a 4 channel amp, using 2 channels for the highs and 2 channels for the lows. Does this make any sense? I might be better off using a low wattage 2 channel for the highs and a high wattage 2 channel amp for the lows.

Thoughts?
It does, as long as you understand how to bi-amp a passive system (see above, you seem confused on the subject), and the passive crossover is bi-ampable. Most 3-way bi-ampable passives do use a single input for the tweeter and midrange, and the other input for the midbass driver (as far as I am aware).

However, I'm curious as to why you want to bi-amp? It really isn't all that useful in most circumstances. Unless you are doing it for something specific like being able to better level match the tweeter with the mid (or tweeter and midrange with the midbass), it really isn't worth the effort.

Thanks for clearing up some things for me! Supposedly a benefit of bi-amping is to prevent woofer clipping from damaging the tweeter (this according to the Car Stereo Cookbook), and to distribute the amp's power better between the woofer and the tweeter (which only uses maybe 5% of the power).

Maybe I shouldn't believe the hype?

If I'm using good components and the crossover that comes with them, along with a good name, powerful 2 channel amp, is there any real benefit to bi-amping, or is it just another way for the dealer to push product?

Yeah, I read that earlier today, but thanks.

A lot of it seems to be about home audio, (mentioned cabinets, a lot of high end stuff like the Linn equip. I have in my living room), but I guess it still applies.

I'll keep looking around. There is so much stuff on this site it's kind of overwhelming.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.