Connecting component speaker sets

Participant count
  • Participant list
No. The crossover is designed for the impedance of the diver in use. Dropping the impedance to 2 ohms completely changes the crossover frequency point.

I think my question wasn't asked properly. After reading it again, it could seem I was asking about connecting two sets of speakers to one crossover. But I was really wondering if I had two sets of components with their own crossovers, and connected the two crossovers to an amp in parallel would it work as a voice coil or is it different? Does it still affect the crossover point even though no more speakers are installed to the unit than originally?

^^^^----Does any of the above make sense?

It does. However, I can't think of any scenario where you would be utilizing two sets in the same corner. It sounds like you're considering front and rear fill, in parallel to the amp. If that is the case, you will get the two ohm load but you will lose all ability to control the front to rear volume differential. If you're considering this for a door w/ two 6.5's in the doors and two tweeters, one in the door and one in the dash, something like that, not recommended because it messes up the sound stage, especially when there would be no way to attenuate the all four drivers. Keep in mind that both comps on the same channel in parallel will all be treated by the controls as one speaker, meaning that all the tuning and volume will affect all four drivers in that circuit - up or down, all or nothing.

What is the objective?

My apologies for the above post. That's my old account that I was locked out of due to not having access to the email I had signed up with. So I made this account. Please delete it.

Anyway... Well it is first a curiosity. I didn't know if the crossovers would drop the impedence like two speakers would. Then I was thinking that if I had 4 sets, one set in each door, I could take advantage of the amplifier's higher output. But it's starting to seem that I don't need to worry about the rear doors having speakers in them. Just a set of components in the front doors and a good set of coaxial 6x9 in the rear deck.

Last edited:
Pretty sure this has kind of been addressed in your other thread? At any rate, you would lose all control of the volume, not good. Additionally, if you have the option to go with fill in the rear doors in your case, being that you are going to have a sub in the trunk, you will have to isolate any drivers in the rear package tray. Personally, I would leave the 6x9 opening in the rear package deck clear/open for some of that low end to get into the cabin. This also assumes that you are going to dampen the trunk too. Otherwise, just cover them up. 6x9s in the rear or any in the rear that are not isolated from the subs will be subject the sound pressure (can be blown out) that the subs are going to generate, especially with the HCCA amp you are going to use.

I don't know what I am going to do with this system. The only thing that's is set in stone is the subs and amp. I'm gonna go to the local sound shop and stalk to the owner. I may just buy everything from him. They deal in sundown and focal so maybe he can help me get this build right.

Nothing wrong with that, Sundown and Focal, both reputable brands! The process of learning is a double edged sword, hate it, love it. Take your time, don;t be swayed by "it's on sale", shiz is always going to be on sale sometime, somewhere. Go to several shops, compare types of comps, especially tweeter types, see what appeals to you. FIgure out o you like metal or silk, which of those appeal, so on and so forth. Many gravitate to the latest Kevlar carbon and whatnot, when in fact, Paper or the combination or sandwiched cones of cellulose and glass fiber is the product of choice in may high end products.

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...