Converting back to stock

Participant count
  • Participant list

Kickstand
Premium Member

CarAudio.com Veteran
So I’m taking the stereo out of my Daily driver and am going to just do a sytrm in my Mustang.
It’s a 2015 Infiniti Q50
When I put the pods in my front doors I was running active so I cut 0the clips for 2 of the 3 speakers that were in the door.
Now I can’t find the clips anywhere and they want $40 a piece for them
I’m not spending $160 on pigtails
So I’m just going to solder a wire to the pin coming out of the speaker
I can’t remember how to tell which ones + and -
Is there a setting on the multi meter?
I tested the speakers and it came back at 2ohms no matter which way I put the positive or neg (Bose)
For some reason I thought iit would show up as a negative if I had it backwards
So i how do I determine which one which?
Thanks

For some reason I thought iit would show up as a negative if I had it backwards
So i how do I determine which one which?
For this I use an analog multimeter. It moves instantly and backwards if connected wrong.
20240119_080020.jpg

Measuring with the multimeter is just the DC resistance of the voice coil, which registers like a resistor, makes no difference which polarity you connect it and it will not show the polarity of a speaker. I haven't used an analog meter in a while, I do have some and used them for years long ago, but I don't recall them moving backwards during a resistance test of a speaker, would only see negative reading with DC voltage measurements.

For the woofers, NOT the tweeters as you can fry the tweeters, again the woofers meaning 6.5" or whatever they are, you can connect a AA battery to its terminals and watch the cone move outward, that is the correct polarity. You tap the wire to the battery and watch the cone move. If the cone moves inward that would be reverse. If they are 2-way OEM speakers you can still do this test as long as they have a capacitor inline with the tweeter as the crossover. Tweeters are easy to smoke with DC voltage.

As for the wiring in the doors, I have no clue how you will tell which wire is which polarity other than hooking each side up the same so they are in phase and sound okay. Maybe find a wiring diagram, but probably difficult for modern vehicles and not worth buying any.

Last edited:
As for the wiring in the doors, I have no clue how you will tell which wire is which polarity other than hooking each side up the same so they are in phase and sound okay. Maybe find a wiring diagram, but probably difficult for modern vehicles and not worth buying any.
Since stating the loss of the pigtails, I assumed he was referring to the radio wires. Turn on bass music and the peg will jump to the negative if hooked incorrectly. But the battery to speaker test is right.

Yeah wouldn't hurt to try if he has access to an older meter.

He mentioned measuring the speaker and it just said 2 ohm, so I thought he was also not sure on the speakers polarity since a lot of OEM speakers don't have the marked terminals like aftermarket.

As for a coned speakers (woof, midbass, mid) driver polarity, a common household D cell battery works great. Connect the batter to wires, touch the woofers leads, see which the woofer cone moves in relationship to the +/- on the battery. Easy-peasy!

Kind of fun to show the youngin's how speakers react to an electrical signal too!

:)

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...