Crutchfield vs Onlinecarstere/Woofersetc/sonicelectronics

Bassically85
10+ year member

What do you guys think about buying "grey market" gear? Is the markup that stores like Cruthcfield charge justify their customer service? I remeber when I 1st got into car audio I looked at crutchfields website and out of curiosity looked at the w7. At one point they were selling the sub for about $100 over the SUGGESTED REATAIL!!!! That's a whole lotta money!

There has been a few threads on fake audio gear and a few companies have a "no online sales"where they won't honor the warranty if something goes wrong with the gear. I want to save money like alotta folks here, but I don't want to get burned either. That's why I learned how to install gear and read a lot on here. I can strecth my money a lot further buying from places like woofersetc or onlinecarstereo versus buying from Crutchfield, or even local shops for that matter. I could get a whole system for what most shops/Crutchfield would charge for a decent amp/sub or amp/comp.

Anyways .......what do you guys think?

I know for a fact the only authorized online Soundstream Dealer is onlinecarstereo.com, anywhere else they wont honor the warranty, and forget ebay.

but for the most part I would definitely suggest onlinecarstereo.com above the others, crutchfield waaay overpriced.

I like woofers and onlinecarstereo, i have personally seen stolen goods end up on sonicelectronics. No comment about the other sites because ive never seen any, however i wouldnt doubt shaddy items perhaps ending up on them.

I like woofers and onlinecarstereo, i have personally seen stolen goods end up on sonicelectronics. No comment about the other sites because ive never seen any, however i wouldnt doubt shaddy items perhaps ending up on them.
Wow.......

I have used Woofersetc.com and onlinecarstereo and they have been 100% reliable. I have driven up to both places and personally seen the way they operate and was very impressed. Onlinecarstereo is in Vernon, CA not far from Compton, CA and Woofersetc is in Los Angeles off of the 10 freeway at San Pedro st.

I use Crutchfield for specific information and data on car audio that fits my truck...but they sell most of their stuff at full retail. So, I search and compare using them and then usually buy on eBay. I have found some truly great deals on eBay and have yet to be disappointed. "Gray gear" is just marketing hype. IMHO. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

Grey market to me depending on what you are looking for can be the way to go. It's causing a lot of car audio companies to bring down their prices or either restrict who they let distribute their products. For a person who is generally not abusive to their equipment which means it can last a long time, grey market is the way to go because generally there will be no need for a warranty. However for the idiots that run 2 ohm stable amps at .05 ohms or abuse the equipment that they pay for where they will need to use the warranty, then grey market isn't the way to go because typically these folks do not have the extra money to send in their equipment for repairs.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Bassically85

10+ year member
Bassically85
Atlanta, Ga
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from