Cybe's budget home theatre build.

^^ I'm sure I will //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
I've got plenty of subs, but need some additional amplification. So for now, the powered Onkyo will have to do.
ive got a amplifier for you //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/naughty.gif.94359f346c0f1259df8038d60b41863e.gif

Where/how will you be mounting the projector. I've done several installs where we able to place the projector behind a wall, behind the viewer or screen. The projectors are noisy and getting them out of the room really helps to reduce the distracting noise.

The projector's going to be ceiling mounted, standard-style. The door leading into the room is at the rear corner, so there isn't much allowance there for a wall. I suppose I could build a hollow column or something if it was too loud -- but the projector's offset would probably be too severe from that distance (~21 feet)..

Got any pictures of your installs?

I went out last night and picked up 20 sheets of 'Quiet Brace' (e.g. Safe 'n Sound) board. The room has a bad echo due to the cement floor, block walls, and uninsulated drywall ceiling (mounted to floor-joists holding an uncarpeted hardwood floor)

I'm thinking I'll tack that against my screen-wall to deaden it up a bit, and may do the lower 4' of the block walls with it as well after some listening tests (and after the carpet goes in.)

As a bonus, it's black.

In other news, I received the projector mount, the cables, and the center channel.

I'd like to add that stippling a ceiling is a very messy, shitty job. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I am toying with the idea of building the sub into the front wall (from the back) -- that way I've got tons of room for the box without affecting the aesthetic of the main room.

No pics. The ones I have done have been just like a movie/film projector like you'd see in the movie theaters. Shot thru a window from a room behind the audience, or rear screen.

You definetly want to keep the projector center.

I don't understand the lay out of your room. You said the door is to the rear, but thre is a wall with space behind it (for a sub) that your using as the front wall? From your pics it looks like there is a sheetrock wall in the middle of the space.

If you have room for the subs behind the "front" wall, is there enough room to throw the projector from back there and do a rear screen projection?

I dislike overhead mount projectors, because I find the loud fan and light bleed annoying and distracting. Also they frequently are too high to allow the screen to be lowered to eye heigth when seated. It seems like todays projectors have less keystone correction than the older projectors.

I'm sure you set up will work, I just prefer to hide the projector when ever possible. It's worth the effort and loss of space.

I don't understand the lay out of your room. You said the door is to the rear, but thre is a wall with space behind it (for a sub) that your using as the front wall? From your pics it looks like there is a sheetrock wall in the middle of the space.
planogramtw0.jpg

If you have room for the subs behind the "front" wall, is there enough room to throw the projector from back there and do a rear screen projection?
There may be enough room, but the studs/drywall/quietbrace/screen are opaque.. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif and this is the budget build //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I dislike overhead mount projectors, because I find the loud fan and light bleed annoying and distracting. Also they frequently are too high to allow the screen to be lowered to eye heigth when seated. It seems like todays projectors have less keystone correction than the older projectors.
You're right about all those things -- so here's what I'm selling myself: The projector is relatively quiet in economy mode (which I can use, since the room is light controlled) and since the room is dedicated there's nothing to stop me from treating for (against) the light-bleed. It's got a pretty strong offset, so I'm actually more concerned about the image being too *low* at the desired size. I may even have to move the projector forward to bring the image up to the right height.

projcalcab6.jpg

A concern for me now is acoustic treatments for the block walls.. The floor will get carpet and pad. Bass traps up front below the screen and in the rear. Whatever's left I'll throw in the back room to reduce resonance in there.

The sheetrock wall is sandwiched like so:

walldiafz6.jpg

I'm hoping the mass of the wall will keep it quiet. I've also GreatStuffed along the studs where they meet the drywall, and top/bottom plate meet the block.

stippling?
round.jpg

My favorite treatment for walls and around the screen is basic black curtains for all, or some of the the walls. I always recommend Commando Cloth, because it's flame resistant and not too expensive. It ***** up light and sound reflections and makes the walls just disappear when the movie starts.

http://www.rosebrand.com/product271/Duvetyn-Black-FR.aspx?sid=d9ohJBsKeI6eR7ODDmZ7O9iqpgckH3%2fU%2bwcNtMf1CIDqT7xKuRSbQg%3d%3d&cid=151&idx=525&tid=1&info=Commando%2bCloth%2b%2526%2bDuvetyn

Also it looks like you have enough room in that "sub room" for the projector if you use a mirror to increase the focal distance. For example you could mount the projector on the floor under the screen facing the back wall firing to a mirror that reflects it back to a rear screen. Or mount it on the celing firing back wards to a mirror.

I have done many installs just like that in rooms/closets about that size. It creates a very cool effect. Basically a giant rear screen tv.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.