DIY Alarm Install?

terra
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com Veteran
Yes
I got quoted $600 for the install on a clifford 50.5x for my 00 explorer. seems wrong the spend 3x the cost of the item just for the install. How hard is it do wire up an alarm myself? Im not concerned with the knowledgeable, skilled thief as much as the random dumbass high school guys who are after my subs. i live in a nice area and garage my car at night, its just the random guy at parties who wants to jack my ****. I would want power locks(i have factory power locks), remote start, and the alarm obviously. I would have as much time as necessary and i've installed plenty of full stereo systems before but nothing for security. how hard would it be and could it be done?

I honestly think you would spend more time trying to configure the unit, rather than installing it..

but fyi; get a battery backup powered siren...definately worth the money

I honestly think you would spend more time trying to configure the unit, rather than installing it..
but fyi; get a battery backup powered siren...definately worth the money
what does configuring it consist of? does the alarm come with instructions that are remotely user friendly?

so nothing really challenging..just complicated and time consuming?
yeah...if your fairly decent with wires its pretty straight forward....most wires can be accessed around the dash and steering column area...there is usually only a couple of bolts to remove access panels...most of the time either 7mm or 10mm

hmm...i think ill ask around and see if anyone in washington has any experience in it. if not ill buckle down and do it myself

just to let you guys know that even if you have aq expensive alarm system with remote and the whole works does no good with a good criminal that knows what they are doing you can go underneath the car and cut the main power line and it will kill everything so if you spend the money on a alarm get a second battery that isnt connected to main system

just to let you guys know that even if you have aq expensive alarm system with remote and the whole works does no good with a good criminal that knows what they are doing you can go underneath the car and cut the main power line and it will kill everything so if you spend the money on a alarm get a second battery that isnt connected to main system
There is some truth to this but dont take it as gospel. Also, depending on the vehicle, I would love to see a thief try and get under my car and cut the battery wire.

Back up battery or not, if they want it bad enough they will take it. Bottom line, nothing is unstealable.

But it doesnt hurt to make it more difficult.

yep true if someone wants something they are gonna get and to me an alarm is almost pointless bc it wont go off if they break the window with a spark plug it wont make any noise and wont shake the vehicle as long as they dont open the door they will steal anything they want

yep true if someone wants something they are gonna get and to me an alarm is almost pointless bc it wont go off if they break the window with a spark plug it wont make any noise and wont shake the vehicle as long as they dont open the door they will steal anything they want

Thats what interior motion sensors are for. They also have glass break sensors but with tint and a spark plug you are right it usually wont go off. IMO shock sensors are worthless. Its better to upgrade to a interior motion sensor and a tilt sensor.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.