Does a subwoofers diameter have a lot to do with bass output and loudness?

skatingrocker17
10+ year member

Ohio
I was just wondering how much the diameter of a subwoofer has to do with its bass output and loudness. Not in terms all a 10" vs. a 15". I'm talking more of just the next size up like a 10" vs. a 12".

I (who is relatively new to GOOD car audio) always thought diameter had a lot to do with it. But if that were true then nobody on here would have 8s or 10s I wouldn't think so it must have less of an affect than I thought. My buddy also has some 10s that I've heard recently that are literally ground shaking.

Just interested in what someone more experienced has to say.

I've been thinking of making the move to 10s myself to save a little space:

eAbDs.jpg

What is more important is the box they are in...
Makes sense, the box his 10s are in is really wide and I think has one port at the far end of the box. It's a really large box, much larger then I thought he would need for just two 10s.

What is more important is the box they are in...
What is this BS? I've seen you say this several times today. Is the box important? Of course' date=' but all things being equal... subwoofer "size" is ummm... a [b']huge[/b] determining factor in output. Don't lead a new person to believe that an 8" can do what a 10" can do if they're both in a quality enclosure.

Each step up in the standard sizes is ~ 50% more cone. Usually more power handling. And usually more excursion, therefore making it that much "bigger" in regards to displacement.

What is this BS? I've seen you say this several times today. Is the box important? Of course, but all things being equal... subwoofer "size" is ummm... a huge determining factor in output. Don't lead a new person to believe that an 8" can do what a 10" can do if they're both in a quality enclosure.
Each step up in the standard sizes is ~ 50% more cone. Usually more power handling. And usually more excursion, therefore making it that much "bigger" in regards to displacement.
I was taking that into consideration with what he said. I understand that larger often equals more I was just curious as to what degree. I know there's some 10s that can blow away some 12s but I'm talking more in terms of subwoofers from the same series.

For example, the Skar VVX 10" and VVX12" both have an RMS wattage of 600 watts (they use the same motor), which can be somewhat confusing to people that aren't very knowledgeable on the subject.

I was taking that into consideration with what he said. I understand that larger often equals more I was just curious as to what degree. I know there's some 10s that can blow away some 12s but I'm talking more in terms of subwoofers from the same series.
For example, the Skar VVX 10" and VVX12" both have an RMS wattage of 600 watts, which can be somewhat confusing to people that aren't super knowledgeable on the subject.
Well, most companies use the same motor and coil on the same series. But that is a perfect example of what I was talking about. You put a vvx 10" vs. a vvx 12" in boxes to spec and the 12 is going to murder it 99% of the time. There are VERY few circumstances that I can think of that that may not be the case.

What.. in the eff... does this mean?
He asked a very general question. You guys are going all DIYMA on him.
meaning he may want to buy the same equipment as he's buddy expecting the same results that all. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

t

What is this BS? I've seen you say this several times today. Is the box important? Of course, but all things being equal... subwoofer "size" is ummm... a huge determining factor in output. Don't lead a new person to believe that an 8" can do what a 10" can do if they're both in a quality enclosure.
Maybe so, but doubling the cone results in a ~3dB increase, and given that I'd wager that very few of us are actually listening to our systems at 100% volume, I'd say that for the MAJORITY of people (read: people who aren't making enormous custom setups), the difference isn't gonna be enormous. If you're talking between a pair of 10s that will fit will or a pair of 12s that might not have enough space, get the 10s.

lol no it's not, better is right.

Lol. Ok.
Size has nothing to do with output. It's ALL the box.

Carry on.
Your not smart enough to come up with a worth while rebuttal so you twist what I said to make you look better. I guarantee I could make my single 10'' louder then 15 in a prefab. Hell my 10's are already louder then most ''enthusiast'' are with 12's and 15's. It is 99.99% enclosure.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.