Does sub enclosure shape matter

Participant count
  • Participant list

sweety
10+ year member

Hi guy's does enclosure shape matter ? The manufactuers of my sub (JBL) recommend a wedge shaped ported enclosure with a round port but if the sub was to be fitted to a rectangular enclosure with a round port would I suffer any ill effects with the sound ie cancellation issues ?

If the box is within the specs I don't see why it wouldn't work but I by no means am a pro so I'd wait and see what a pro says. One should chime in soon, knowing this forum. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Cheers & look forwards to hearing others views;) fitted the sub in it's sealed box into my truck today & it's no where near as loud as I hoped even tho it's getting 250RMS (50W more than the sub is rated) so it's going to need a ported box. Had the 12" version sealed which they say is best for that sub but was never happy with it so gave it to my Son & built a ported box for it as thats what he wanted & wow what a difference

The box will be 1.41ft^3 with a 2" wide x 4" long port which JBL has said to use which should tune it to 33Hz a rough idea is for it to be 18 3/4" long x 15" high & 12" depth. I'm planing on mounting the amp onto the rear of the box or on the end as I need to be able to remove it all when carrying loads or when we go away camping

What got me wondering about this is that JBL's plans are a rectangular box for sealed but wedged for ported. With a 12" depth i'll have 4 3/4" behind the sub magnet & 6 3/4" air gap behind the port would that be enough room

Cheers for the help guy's as you've been 100% more helpful that the UK forum i'm on

welll...technically shape can affect an enclosures response.. the smoother the edges and less resistance the more output and less port noise. but by a substancial amount? eh no.

The box will be 1.41ft^3 with a 2" wide x 4" long port which JBL has said to use which should tune it to 33Hz a rough idea is for it to be 18 3/4" long x 15" high & 12" depth. I'm planing on mounting the amp onto the rear of the box or on the end as I need to be able to remove it all when carrying loads or when we go away campingWhat got me wondering about this is that JBL's plans are a rectangular box for sealed but wedged for ported. With a 12" depth i'll have 4 3/4" behind the sub magnet & 6 3/4" air gap behind the port would that be enough room

Cheers for the help guy's as you've been 100% more helpful that the UK forum i'm on

One more time? What will the orientation for this enclosure be? As in where/how will the woofer fire? And the vent? You certainly want room between the rear of the driver and vent's internal opening as to thwart off any "unloading."

The sub & port will both be aimed at the rear of the trunk (sounds funny saying that as we call it a boot in the UK lol) & there will be 5 1/4" clearance not the 4 3/4" I stated before (bad maths)

Just had a measure up & could do a slot ported box but not sure if my maths is correct so was wondering if someone could check it for me please a box 20.75 x 14 x 14" with a 1.5" port 28" long made from 3/4" MDF would give a volume of 1.41ft^3 & tune the box to 33Hz

No one know if i've worked it out right //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/banghead.gif.8606515f668c74f6de0281deb475b6fd.gif might just have to build it & hope for the best:uhoh:

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.