Door speakers: How to protect from water?

R332
10+ year member

CA
I am installing some high-end door speakers in my '70s Porsche and I am worried that the crappy old tech window seals will allow water into the doors during large rains and intense washing.

How can I protect the portion of the speakers that protrude deep into the doors?

Will the foam "bucket" type enclosures kill the sound quality? Where can I find some? Any other options?

Thanks //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif

what speakers are you using?

with most speakers a small amount of water shouldn't be a big deal. i'm sure my lats set of mids and my current mids have seen at least a small amount of water.

i'd say as long as the voice coil isn't open in any way and the cone isn't paper then you should be fine.

what speakers are you using?
Hertz Mille. For the cost of these I would prefer to keep them dry //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Make a rain guard out of tin foil and plumbers backstrap.

You can use the foam baffles, but you need to cut the bottom out of them. If you're doing this, I hardly see how they are worth the cost.

I saw on another forum that a guy used some aluminum sheet to shield his. Basically he cut a wide strip to cover past the magnet, bent one edge up and cut notches in it, then bent the entire piece to a semi-circle to conform to the shape of the speaker. He screwed the metal between the speaker baffle and the door and the whole assembly was deadened. Hope my terrible description helps lol

Heres the link, this guy shows and describes it WAY better since its his idea lol

http://diymobileaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38537

You should replace the window seals. Then you just need some way of blocking the water from dripping onto the top of the drivers. Like an extra flap of deadener ever the top/back of the driver, to allow water to run off. I wouldn't seal up the back of the driver though. You could create a moisture build up that can't dry out and ruin the driver faster than with no cover. Also it would ruin your bass response.

I saw on another forum that a guy used some aluminum sheet to shield his. Basically he cut a wide strip to cover past the magnet, bent one edge up and cut notches in it, then bent the entire piece to a semi-circle to conform to the shape of the speaker. He screwed the metal between the speaker baffle and the door and the whole assembly was deadened. Hope my terrible description helps lol
Heres the link, this guy shows and describes it WAY better since its his idea lol

http://diymobileaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38537
i read through that. To be honest, I'd rather buy the foam guards. You pay about $15-20 shipped. His thread says "under $25". The foam gurads are and it's less work.

My $.02

how about some of the thin gladware / tuperware containers chopped in half? that would be a good cheap rain guard.
I had difficulty getting them to say glued to the door. I think the opening and closing of the door did them in. They can be found in the optimal shape and depth for most drivers, though.

I had difficulty getting them to say glued to the door. I think the opening and closing of the door did them in. They can be found in the optimal shape and depth for most drivers, though.

Tis why I use them as molds for driver covers. Fiberglass just pops right off with no mold release what so ever. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Just make an AP enclosure. /
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

I don't use the bowls in that case. I simply tape the actual driver with several layers of tape. Then a layer of foil. Then glass it. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif But not all drivers thrive in an aperiodic install. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.