Dual Amp question.

Participant count
  • Participant list

NorseForce

Hey guys I just want to make sure that I am not damaging anything with this setup. I have zero experience with installing car stereos previous to this so I have a few questions.

I have a 2014 ford focus and I recently installed a powered sub JBL gt bass pro 12 . Alpine 610c and an Alpine KTP445U to power the 610c.

So what I did was install the 455u amp to power the front speakers and then tap off the rear speakers via line out converter to install the JBL sub, which has its own onboard amp. Is this bad for the powered sub since the RCA inputs going to the sub are already sending an amplified signal from the 445u amp because I am using a LOC tapping off the rear speakers? Is this bad for the sub and does it degrade the sound output from the sub?

Any insight on this will help. THANKS!

What kind of head unit are you using? Does it only have one set of rca pre outs? If so, get a set of "y" rca connectors (single male to dual female) and plug those into the head unit. From there, run one set of rca's to the jbl amp and the other set to the Alpine amp. You are sending way too much power through that loc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys I just want to make sure that I am not damaging anything with this setup. I have zero experience with installing car stereos previous to this so I have a few questions.
I have a 2014 ford focus and I recently installed a powered sub JBL gt bass pro 12 . Alpine 610c and an Alpine KTP445U to power the 610c.

So what I did was install the 455u amp to power the front speakers and then tap off the rear speakers via line out converter to install the JBL sub, which has its own onboard amp. Is this bad for the powered sub since the RCA inputs going to the sub are already sending an amplified signal from the 445u amp because I am using a LOC tapping off the rear speakers? Is this bad for the sub and does it degrade the sound output from the sub?

Any insight on this will help. THANKS!
The sub amp will be fine with that. The real question is whether the LOC can handle the power level from the 455u. Most of them are good for at least 40 watts, some will handle more.

Got it. I would tap that loc in before the Alpine then. That loc has a max input of 40 watts.Just splice the rear outs from the Hu to the loc and rear in of the Alpine.

You could conceivably adjust your fader to around 70% front and 30% rear and turn up the loc gains if you want to leave it the way it is now.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^ Right. Which means running wires from the sub amp back to the Alpine instead of tapping off the rear speakers. But for the difference (40w vs 45w) I'd probably just leave it alone.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.