Dynamat - question about how to install on doors....

pologuy
10+ year member

Hi,

Well, I just completed installing the 36 sq.ft. Dynamat package in my trunk...

I now have a question about the doors...

From what I can see in the videos on Dynamat's website and the instructions included, it looks like you just take a sheet of Dynamat and stretch it over the opening in the door...

I thought you were supposed to press the Dynamat onto the metal and follow every contour of the door and not just stretch it over the opening? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Thanks as always!

You're correct - put it on the metal. Applying vibration damper to air doesn't do any good. You may be seeing pictures where they have used something else to cover the access holes and then put the Dynamat on top of that. The covers are a good idea but it's pretty important to make them removable because you will have to get back into that door some day.

Every inch should be attached to metal but every inch of metal doesn't need to be covered - concentrate on the center 25-50% of each panel.

Covering the holes, with wood or sheet metal or plastic sheeting, is every bit as important as actually deadening the doors, if your goal is to improve midbass response. As suggested earlier, cover the holes with some sort of rigid material, using screws so they can be removed for door maintenance, and then cover over that with mat.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.