Eclipse subwoofers bottoming out

Are you aware that you can still clip the subs and have the same noise in a sealed enviorment? Then what? The OP is out money and time spent on building another enclosure with the same issues.
I'm sorry, but you must be misinformed. Clipping and/or misaligned coils can only happen in ported boxes.

OP, I think it is easy enough to read through the BS and take the advice of those who know. I personally would also suggest a smaller than 6ft box, as the larger the box the less power you are going to be able to put to them, also the imp rise is usually less in a properly designed and constructed smaller box. RAM is a great guy to have do the design for you if you want to build it yourself, or I am sure he can help with the construction also. just my 0.02

OP, I think it is easy enough to read through the BS and take the advice of those who know. I personally would also suggest a smaller than 6ft box, as the larger the box the less power you are going to be able to put to them, also the imp rise is usually less in a properly designed and constructed smaller box. RAM is a great guy to have do the design for you if you want to build it yourself, or I am sure he can help with the construction also. just my 0.02
Yeah well i have a prefab sealed box i should put the sub in there and see if the "clacking noise" goes away. Actually based on the T/S specs i gave RAM he recommended 6 cubic feet for the three subs. That's if i gave him the right T/S specs because i found two sets of different t/s specs for this sub and i'm not sure which one is correct. I have a thread in the enclosure section and actually had a question about port length and diameter for the box.

But yeah tomorrow i will put the sub in the prefab sealed and see if the noise goes away.

Yeah well i have a prefab sealed box i should put the sub in there and see if the "clacking noise" goes away. Actually based on the T/S specs i gave RAM he recommended 6 cubic feet for the three subs. That's if i gave him the right T/S specs because i found two sets of different t/s specs for this sub and i'm not sure which one is correct. I have a thread in the enclosure section and actually had a question about port length and diameter for the box.
But yeah tomorrow i will put the sub in the prefab sealed and see if the noise goes away.
No just no.

The two different sets of T/S specs are for 2 ohm and 4 ohm models. You have the 4 ohm model sub based on the model number.

Prefab ***** and chances are it will be the wrong sized box for the subs. Do yourself a favor and do it right.

The two sets of t/s specs are not for the 2ohm and 4 ohm versions, they were both for the 4 ohm version

the resistance says 3.1 but all 3 oh my eclipse subs rest around 3.4 ohms

Fs: 28Hz

Qts: .29

DCR: 3.1 ohm

Vas: 2.68 Cubic ft

Xmax (one way): 1.17"

>DC-R = 3.1

>FS = 22Hz

>Qts = .35

>Vas = 4.25 cubic ft

>SPL/W/m = 87.1 dB

>Qes = .401

>Qms = 2.9

>Sd = .0511 M squared

These are the two t/s sets, im not sure which one is correct for the subs

The reason to put it in the prefab sealed is to see if the clacking noise goes away, there not permanently going in there. its about 1.25 cubic feet so it actually should be perfect for the sub. All i want to do is see if the noise goes away which some people on here believe it will. It would be pointless to build a prefab box just to test the sub.

EDIT: Found another

Name: 88120.4

Type: Standard one-way driver

Company: Eclipse

No. of Drivers = 1

Fs = 28 Hz

Qms = 2.918

Vas = 4.248 cu.ft

Cms = 0.0568 in/lb

Mms = 3.514 oz

Rms = 13.24 lb/s

Xmax = 1.17 in

Xmech = 1.755 in

P-Dia = 10.04 in

Sd = 79.21 sq.in

P-Vd = 0.0536 cu.ft

Qes = 0.322

Re = 0.946 ohm

Z = 4 ohms

BL = 1.613 lb/A

Pe = 500 watts

Qts = 0.29

no = 0.791 %

1-W SPL = 91.18 dB

All i want to do is see if the noise goes away which some people on here believe it will.
There's really no reason for a noise that's happening at ~2" of excursion to happen just because of the box. You're not stressing the sub mechanically, and it seems like you have plenty of power available to push the subs pretty hard...you're just not able to for some reason, so in my opinion there is something mechanically wrong with the speakers. Or maybe you have them wired to 8ohms and are pushing the amp really hard to get some power to the subs? That could be why you're not getting much excursion before they start sounding like arse.

But those subs are capable of about 3" of mechanical stroke before they start to want to destroy themselves...judging by your vid you're not near that, and it actually sounds like a misaligned coil scratching the motor.

Last edited by a moderator:
2300 watts will bottom any driver in the world at the right frequency in the right system, you can't just go by an amplifiers RMS spec and assume you're good. You should always model your design (Use WinISD because its free) with appropriate voltage and include high pass protection filters if needed.
1 2300 wont bottom every driver in the world, there are a lot of the high power spl drivers that laugh at 2k when free air, second, he will never see 2300 out of that hifonics.

and op, whats your electrical look like, and what size power wire are you running

You can get more excursion out of a sub in a ported box than you can free-air.
Since operation below tuning without a subsonic filter is essentially free-air operation, this loaded statement will go over the heads of many. I presume you mean the bump in the region just above the tuning frequency, with the qualification of leaving applied power static for the comparison between the two (free-air and vented)?

you over extended your subs by pushing more than they can handle at 1 point. Your hearing the voice coil rub in the inner magnet. The coil is wrapped around a foil like tube and the tube is crushed a little if you say. thats were the scratching sound is coming from turn your subs off push down on both sides of the sub to test this theory to see if you hear the voice coil rub.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.