Fiberglass Enclosure Strength

Participant count
  • Participant list

csu87
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
So I'm not entirely sure I've got the right strength on my fiberglass enclosure.

Here is the enclosure. Pulled the wooden dowels out so ignore them.

20140628_132426.jpg

Has 4 layers of Fiberglass Weave cloth and 2-3 layers of the chopped mat on the front and 6 layers of weave on the back. Currently I can stand on it (~175lbs) on both the front and back with no issues.

Will have a SA10 on lower power (500ish watts) in the enclosure.

What do you think? strong enough? I still need to do a glass/filler layer and smooth everything out.

Yeah I agree. I think most do just like 3 layers. Nice work

---------- Post added at 04:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:01 PM ----------

I'd put some deadener in it too. May not need it but I'd still do it if u have any

may see if it has a hollow sound before I throw deadener in.

never done a completely fiberglass enclosure before so I have no idea what it will sound like. Have always had atleast 1 side mdf

no pretty easy. pulled the trunk panel out, taped it up, and started glassing.

I used UV Cure resin to cut down on curing time, but I never had enough time on my hands to actually get to use this to my benefit. Could get it all done in one day if I didn't do a little bit at a time.

20140406_183341.jpg

20140424_183412.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.