Fire in da Trunk

Don't see that very often. Was it fairly warm out? Your sub's voice coil got so hot from the power of your amplifier that it spontaneously combusted and started on fire, not too many people know that it can be a few hundred degrees F inside the coil gap after hours of pounding. All speakers die differently and some rather shorts out in a pretty nasty way with sparks flying and possibly cause damage to your amplifier due to dead short.
Consider buying better subwoofers that can take more power and user abuse //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif Are those Punch P2s?
well im was on my way home from work about 10 min away, and the sub were on 3 on the hu, and the amp is a sony xplode 1000 watt only 380 rms, was doing that parallel. amp's gain was 1/2, and yes those are 6 month old P2's

well im was on my way home from work about 10 min away, and the sub were on 3 on the hu, and the amp is a sony xplode 1000 watt only 380 rms, was doing that parallel. amp's gain was 1/2, and yes those are 6 month old P2's
1st of all, its running off of a sony xplode, so what did you expect to happen? (it exploded, lol)

2nd, It seems that your referring to the 'gain' as a volume knob.

I'm assuming it happened like this:

gain was set improperly. your headunit probably has low voltage preamp outputs, which caused you to have to turn your amp's gains up past its abilities. This sent a clipped signal to your subs, which caused the voice coil to overheat, and catch fire.

However, I am impressed that it continued to play //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

Can you explian clipping to me please, if the hu sub level was not turned up and preamp is 5 volts and the volume was at have a turn how could I be exceeding the limit?

smokey-only-you.jpg

too bad it happened, do a search on clipping, and do a peeka boo in the tutorials on setting the gains on amps, could help prevent trunks fires. sorry, couldn't resist.

i saw this post and i was hoping it was rockford subs, ive seen it happen before these little puppies will over heat and then the voice coil will start to melt through the cone and the melting mess ussually starts on fire, niice

My buddies brother in law had a RF sub just like that on a sony explode 1000 amp and it really BLEW the sub. The whole sub blew apart. I have it in my garage.Ill have to take pics.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.