four digital designs 6.5" subwoofers

I haven't even figured that out yet bro sorry been trying to get the info first I just found out they are dual 4 ohm and the direct connect lead on one is scuffed but not broken or anything ill have them tomorrow hopefully. i will let you know asap when i get them and all the info!

4x 6.5" subs will not be near as loud as 2x of equivalent 12s. They have much less cone area. When looking at the area of a circle 2x 6" woofers do not equal the area of 1x 12" woofer. It seems some of you are thinking of it like that

4x 6.5" woofers have an area of just over 130 sq in

2x 12" woofers have an area of just over 225 sq in

4x 6.5" subs will not be near as loud as 2x of equivalent 12s. They have much less cone area. When looking at the area of a circle 2x 6" woofers do not equal the area of 1x 12" woofer. It seems some of you are thinking of it like that
4x 6.5" woofers have an area of just over 130 sq in

2x 12" woofers have an area of just over 225 sq in
You have to take the surround into consideration too. Half the surround counts for SD. A 6.5 inch sub does not have a 6.5 inch diameter cone. Your math is flawed.

You have to take the surround into consideration too. Half the surround counts for SD. A 6.5 inch sub does not have a 6.5 inch diameter cone. Your math is flawed.
I wasn't trying to be exact I was just demonstrating the difference between multiple small woofers and less larger woofers and if anything considering the surround would only further my point and the 12's would have been more cone area when taking the surround into account

I wasn't trying to be exact I was just demonstrating the difference between multiple small woofers and less larger woofers and if anything considering the surround would only further my point and the 12's would have been more cone area when taking the surround into account
The 12's would have more cone area, yes. Other factors come in to play too though. Some 12's with weak one slug motors and no excursion would not be better.

It all depends on which 12's you're comparing them to. Motor force, excursion, power handling (mechanical and thermal), ect. are other factors.

The 12's would have more cone area, yes. Other factors come in to play too though. Some 12's with weak one slug motors and no excursion would not be better.
It all depends on which 12's you're comparing them to. Motor force, excursion, power handling (mechanical and thermal), ect. are other factors.
I said an equivalent sub if you read my first post...

Then yes, it would be louder and have more cone area. Still less motor force and power handling though.
That is correct but who cares if less bigger subs will be louder and provide more of a feeling and for cheaper.

The only case I would use small subs like that is for space requirements.

I was just trying to clear the air about the relative cone area of subs and how 2x 6" subs do not equal the same as 1x 12" sub.

That is correct but who cares if less bigger subs will be louder and provide more of a feeling and for cheaper.
The only case I would use small subs like that is for space requirements.

I was just trying to clear the air about the relative cone area of subs and how 2x 6" subs do not equal the same as 1x 12" sub.
Who said two equaled a 12?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.