Get Your SPL Related Questions Answered Here!

Hello....
I have a ford explorer and am testing a couple different boxes.....

currently I am building a "crx" box, 29x29x14, 4 4" aero's....

Do you think I could gain anything by smoothing the edges on the inside, maybe cutting some wood to make 45deg angles instead of 90deg's on the inside...?
Make it all 45's inside, reduces cancellation and air moves more freely through the port, make sure you put a piece of PVC on the back side of the box above the port on the top edge of the box, good for a 0.1 or 0.2 most of the time, if you don't know what I mean I will show you a picture.

-Rick

Make it all 45's inside, reduces cancellation and air moves more freely through the port, make sure you put a piece of PVC on the back side of the box above the port on the top edge of the box, good for a 0.1 or 0.2 most of the time, if you don't know what I mean I will show you a picture.
-Rick
yes, please explain that last PVC thing

Like this.

635350_53.jpg

See how it's used to round of the edge?

635350_55.jpg

OK, hope this picture works, now put the piece of PVC that is cut in half on the rear side of the box, on the top edge, above the ports. Hope that makes sense, my mad paint skills show it fairly well but on the REAR side of the box, above the aeroports.

-Rick

Ok, i have a question....I've asked it before but really didnt get alot of reply's or i keep getting mixed opinions, so now im putting together a survey type thing. And i get replys such as, try out each way and see which sounds better. That would be a great idea, but the enclosure im building is going to be so big imma have to build it inside my trunk. And i would have to completely destory that box and start all over again. I wish it was as easy as popping one in and popping it bacik out, but its not.

Anywayz, i have read on different forums that its BEST to fire the sub rearward. Im doing the best i can to use up all the cubes of airspace i can get, and in order for my to fire rearward i would be giving up airspace so i could have room to put the subs inside the box. So that really wasnt a plan at the top of my list, but if that would give me the best sound, i would look more into that option and do my best to make it work.

Next idea was to fire it into the cabin. Of course i would seal it off from my trunk, but i dont know exactly how it would sound. If this would be the best option or rearward. I also heard if i done this, i would have to change the polarity of the subs to make it sound best. Is this true or not? But the other day i measured and ran into a lil problem with this idea too. My clearance is about 32inches. Two 15in subs will be 30 inches and two sheets of 3/4 mdf on each side would be 1.5 inches. So it would be a TIGHT squeeze. And im not sure if i could get my port up under my 15s on the same plan or not. So that would make me have to port on the top of the box and have my ports extending up going through my 6x9 holes since i took them out. How would that affect the sound? Especially since i read it is best to have port and subs on the same plan.

And my last option was having everything in my trunk and firing my subs up. This idea runs into the least amount of problems, if any. Only thing im concerned about with this one is sound. I would have enough space to mount subs and also put my port on the same plan. I would dynamat my rear dash to make the rattles wouldnt be too insane. But i have heard firing subs upwards isnt the best of ideas due to the flow of sound waves, etc....

Again, the enclosure im planning on is going to be huge and i just cant test it out to see. Thats why i would like to see everyone respond who has saw alot of different set ups that sounded very well and loud. Oh while im at it, is there a special rule to go by when trying to figure out how much port area to give your subs?

By the way, my car is a 96 Honda Accord. Sub planning on running is two 15" DP in a 7-8 cubic foot enclosure. Each sub will roughly see 900-1200W RMS each. And yes my back seats do let down.

mmmm....lots of good info.

one thing that wasn't mentioned....

don't be afraid to start over, don't get discouraged if your numbers aren't where you want them first time out. sometimes you have to reach your goals one tenth at a time. i am at the point where i am planning my next rebuild during my current build. every build yeilds better results and you learn from your errors and your success. remember, there is no 'perfect recipe' for an SPL rig, it's all trial and error(of course you can avoid some of this by following suggestions //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif )

PS - axe, hammer, torch, and welder are your friends

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.