Hardest hitting single 10??

rdlyn13000
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
So I picked this system up for dirt cheap not to long ago. I got a pioneer head unit, mounting kit, JL 500/1, JL 10" W7, sealed box, RCA's, all 4 gauge wires and fuse block for $250!! I've been away from systems for a while but couldn't pass this up. I know there's a lot of hate for JL around here but I think they sound pretty good. Anyways this is all in a stock 1999 Saturn sc-1. Now after listening to this for a little bit I think I'm getting used to it already? And wanting more bass. Now I did build a 1.6 cubic foot slot port box that I grabbed the plans from the free box plans sticky (I think it's the third box down) anyways that helped alot!! What I'm thinking now is selling the JL W7 and getting a different 10" that hits harder and lower but don't know what to get or where to start? I would like to keep the same box and keep the 500/1 if I could but those can change too. Or should I just put sound deadener everywhere and some nice interior speakers?? What do you all recommend?

According to JL's website it says 250-750 for the 10" and it says 500 is optimal. I could try throwing a 1000/1 on it and see how it sounds but I dont want to blow it either.

Do you know which box I built in that sticky? You think thats a bad box??

Which sub do you recommend wenn?

I beg to differ.
you can beg to differ but you can't argue that the enclosure will make a way bigger difference.

Say he gets a much more efficient sub, what kind of gain will he see? 1db max?

How much could difference could the right enclosure make? 3-5db? hmmmm

you can beg to differ but you can't argue that the enclosure will make a way bigger difference.
Say he gets a much more efficient sub, what kind of gain will he see? 1db max?

How much could difference could the right enclosure make? 3-5db? hmmmm
with as low of a score he is doing with a 10w7 in a sealed box and 500rms you could gain big time swapping out the sub, and who the hell swaps out a sub with out putting in a new enclosure matched to the sub and cabin?

comparing the msrp of both subs, he could swap out to a DD 9510, treo ssx, both would gain even in a sealed box against the w7. Just because he only has 500rms does not mean he needs a small weak subwoofer.

with as low of a score he is doing with a 10w7 in a sealed box and 500rms you could gain big time swapping out the sub, and who the hell swaps out a sub with out putting in a new enclosure matched to the sub and cabin? comparing the msrp of both subs, he could swap out to a DD 9510, treo ssx, both would gain even in a sealed box against the w7. Just because he only has 500rms does not mean he needs a small weak subwoofer.
I'm not following. He said he built a ported box, so what does a sealed box have to do with it now?

While I'm not a fan of W7's I would not consider it a weak sub. No it would not compare to a DD 9510 but it can hold its own if in the right environment.

I'm not following. He said he built a ported box, so what does a sealed box have to do with it now?While I'm not a fan of W7's I would not consider it a weak sub. No it would not compare to a DD 9510 but it can hold its own if in the right environment.
I missed the ported box part, I read OP.

And a generic box design will not compete with something drawn up bespoke for his car. I'd hit up mobile for a design and get a larger amplifier before switching subwoofers.

And no the w7 isn't weak, it's just not loud.

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/members/moble-enclosurs.html

What about wrapping my trunk in sound deadener? Will that make a big difference?
It usually wont make a big difference. Deadener can actually make your score lower in some cases.

I also do designs if you want to build a box that get REALLY loud.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.