Heat issues from a desert dweller

Participant count
  • Participant list

AZhomegrown
10+ year member

desert
Basically i live in the low deserts of AZ known as the valley of the sun where we get temps into 120's on occasion. Atleast its a dry heat...ha Well basically im running a pioneer gm-7400m 400wrms mono d block amp powering a pioneer premier 10 inch ts-w1008d2 2ohm 350wrms subwoofer wired at a 4ohm load which gives me 200wrms. The amp is wired with about 16 feet of 8 gauge power wire and the ground is about 3 feet of 8 gauge wire. Does this sound sufficient? Ive thought about going to 4 gauge. my owners manuel said under 18ft 8 gauge is fine. My problem is that the temps here are so high that anything metal will pretty much brand you after sitting in the sun. Ive burnt myself on many seat belts. Temperatures are extremely amplified in the cabin of your car which basically makes it an oven. Leather ***** too. Bottom line is my amp gets really hot as well as the metals on the subwoofer(took the sub out after sitting in the sun and felt its heat from the rear vent and the magnets). THe amp doesnt seem to get too hot when temps are low but i havent had much chance to trouble shoot and after work when my cars been in the parking lot its just roasting. Is this bad. I know amps can experience high temps anyways and will go into protect mode when its too hot, but is there damage being done. I feel like i shouldnt be running it when its like that i dont wont to f#$& anything up. Should I pull the back seats down to be extra safe?

Thanks

I've never had a thermal problem with any amp i've run. They have all been mounted under the seats. My vehicle in direct sunlight 95% of the time.

i used to work for cox cable with my own ranger, had three re 8" powered by an infinity 611a maxed out all day, no ac..and never had a problem

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.