Jeep center console sub install issues.

Participant count
  • Participant list

vlusardi

CarAudio.com Newbie
Need input on how to create optimal acoustics in a tight space. I’ve attached pics of the console. I want to upgrade the stock sub to an 8 inch unit. Found some that will work size wize, but there won’t be enough room for an enclosure inside the console. The shallow sub I’m looking at will just barely fit behind the grille where the stock one was, but I’m needing suggestions about how to avoid the front and back waves canceling each other out with this arrangement. It’s not an ideal space to work with. Thanks for any insights.

Attachments

• IMG_1308.jpeg
    IMG_1308.jpeg
    600.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1309.jpeg
    IMG_1309.jpeg
    713.4 KB · Views: 2
Thanks for any insights.
First and foremost is that the sub must be designed to work in a small enclosure. If not designed for it, you may end up with less bass than the smaller speaker. Second is that any enclosure has to be rigid or the flexing will cancel bass.
I suggest lining that enclosure's insides with fiberglass cloth, resin, and a few support braces. Doing so may make the current sub sound the way you want it. Third, the enclosure must be completely sealed. Separation of back and front wave will give you good bass.

First and foremost is that the sub must be designed to work in a small enclosure. If not designed for it, you may end up with less bass than the smaller speaker. Second is that any enclosure has to be rigid or the flexing will cancel bass.
I suggest lining that enclosure's insides with fiberglass cloth, resin, and a few support braces. Doing so may make the current sub sound the way you want it. Third, the enclosure must be completely sealed. Separation of back and front wave will give you good bass.
Thanks for the input. I still have the ABS enclosure for the factory 6 inch sub (see pic). I should be able to modify it for use with the larger sub by cutting the hole larger and maybe using a heat gun to make things fit.

Attachments

• IMG_1315.jpeg
    IMG_1315.jpeg
    540.5 KB · Views: 1
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...