Help choosing amp considering OHMS and efficiency

Participant count
  • Participant list

Frank H

San Diego
I am upgrading my amp from an Alpine m1005 (1000 watts mono at 2ohm). This amp has served me well over the years. With this new woofer though, I have to crank up the gain in order to have the bass boost off and still hear the thing. Gain is at .2v right now.

I am running a Sundown Audio X12 (v2) dual 4 wired at 2 ohm (v2 is rated at 1500w). Bought this woofer when I didnt plan to upgrade amps, or I would have went dual 2 for a 1 ohm load... well at least I think I would have, but since I dont much understand resistance or rise, I would have asked for help there too.

So here I am with this dilemma.

I am considering a couple amps. Taramps HD3000.1, HD3000.2 and also considering the FSD 3800.

The Taramps 3000.1 would give me 2040 watts at 12.6 volts at 2ohm. Would leave me with options if I decided to change stuff in the future.

The Taramps 3000.2 would give me 3000 at 12.6 volts at 2 ohm. Would have a bunch of overhead power.

I do not plan to upgrade or change woofers any time soon so not sure why I am considering the 1ohm version. But here to get opinions.

I also see that FSD is up and coming and only $425 for the 3800. It would put me at 2150w at 2ohm.

I have the big 3 with 0g OFC, 2 YellowTop batteries and am in the process of ordering a Singer alt (debating 240a or 275a)

gain at .2 volts is like max man... Are you setting your head unit settings properly?

Whats the sub level at? Whats the max volume of your head unit?

I'd get the fsd or a taramps 5k 1 ohm version just in case you get another sundown X 12

My kenwood HU has a max volume of 35, and a subwoofer range from -50 to 10.

I usually have it between 0 and 6. Never really go into the negative.

It has a 5 band eq and I have the left 2 bars flat, and the right 3 get moved around but usually ramp up from center to right.

I usually dont turn the main volume up past 31 - mostly because the mids/highs get too loud. I think maybe I should turn the gains down on the 4 channel. I dont get any alt noise or any kind of noise other than music out of the amps.

The kenwood has 4v preouts.

Loudness is off.

Anything else it could be?

I hadnt considered the 5k 1ohm. Ill look into that. Thanks Jeff @Jeffdachef

I hear ya, but am reading many success stories with brazilian as long as you keep the resistance and volts in check.

With the FSD at 2150w @ 2ohm really max this woofer out?

Id go with a Korean made amp...and stay away from the Brazillian stuff...Its too finiky..
well if you buy it and think you can abuse it with wiring too low or poorly mounting it to your sub box or having voltages under 10 volts and such then yeah, but i think thats the same with any amp. Use it within its general purposes and it'll work great and last long. Horror stories come from people thinking they can get away with treating it like they would a korean amp.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.