HELP!!! DD3510sc sounds like crap

I just got a brand new dd 3510 with the supercharged option and I put it in a downfiring ported box tuned to about 33-34 hz with about 1.8 cubic feet before displacement that I built. I am powering it with an MB Quart Discus 1000.1 wired at what should be 1 ohm. I don't know if it will sound better after it is broken in or what I'm just kind of worried about this expensive sub not sounding good. I know I read it is supposed to be tuned higher and I may build a new box if the sound doesn't start to improve. If it isn't getting enough power can someone let me know I plan on getting a crescendo bc2000d soon. I am new here and any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Wired to "what should be" 1 ohm?

Make sure you're wired to 1ohm. Google is your friend. Huge difference between 4 ohm load and 1 ohm load, power-wise

Also: what amp are you running? What size guage wire to amp from battery? from amp to ground? from amp to speaker box?

Im pretty sure it is at 1 ohm its just my first t

ime using direct leads I wired + to + and - to - and then ran it back to the amp using 16 guage wire. The amp is a MB Quart DSC 1000.1 For now I am using 4 guage to the amp for power and ground.I plan on getting 1/0 guage soon and either 8 or 10 guage speaker wire to go with it.

Im pretty sure it is at 1 ohm its just my first time using direct leads I wired + to + and - to - and then ran it back to the amp using 16 guage wire. The amp is a MB Quart DSC 1000.1 For now I am using 4 guage to the amp for power and ground.I plan on getting 1/0 guage soon and either 8 or 10 guage speaker wire to go with it.
16 guage is WAYYY to small for a subwoofer, and definitely too small for anything over 200W. You need AT LEAST 12ga, but I would run 8 just incase.

Ok then I will get 8 gauge with I get new wires. I still think it should sound decent though just maybe not as loud because of the small wires, right? Does anyone have any experience with digital designs subwoofers and how long it takes them to break in? It is still SUPER stiff.

Ok then I will get 8 gauge with I get new wires. I still think it should sound decent though just maybe not as loud because of the small wires, right? Does anyone have any experience with digital designs subwoofers and how long it takes them to break in? It is still SUPER stiff.
From what I gather it is a similar design to my AQ HDC312 (same company I believe). As you can see, each voicecoil has an 8ga wire coming out of it, so you should technically have 4 8ga pieces of wire running from the amp to the sub. My woofer was stiff, but I didn't need any break-in, just pounded away at 1800RMS.

My suggestions:

1) Make SURE you're running at 1ohm (get a multimeter)

2) GET A MULTIMETER!

3) Set your gains properly.

I pretty much would stay away from running that woofer AT ALL, with 16ga wire. You're just asking for trouble/melted wire/damaged equipment.

Ok thanks I will check it with a multimeter and get new wires ASAP. I am pretty conservative with my gains because I hate how distortion/clipping sounds but I will check them again. Thanks.

1: your subs might be out of phase2: try switching the pos and negative, it might be a reversed polarity situation

3: check if its a bad ground

4: your choking the sub with 16 gauge wire.
I think you meant to say voicecoils are in reverse polarity. he only has 1 sub

Ok, what do you mean "sounds like crap". If you're wired higher than 1ohm, it will actually sound better, just at a lower volume. What is the issue?

16 guage is WAYYY to small for a subwoofer, and definitely too small for anything over 200W. You need AT LEAST 12ga, but I would run 8 just incase.
Not optimum, but definitely not the problem. I've used #1 6 on far more power without a problem

What is it in? Pics of the box and of it in the vehicle.
This ^^^ Box is probably too small, tuned too low, has too small port, and may not be oriented right to make much sound in your car. Poor box is my #1 suspect.

If you think you're going to get audible gains from dumping money into #8 speaker wires you'll be sorely disappointed.

Subs should soften up a lot over the first hour of hard play, then continue to soften for the rest of their life. This also shouldn't be really an audible difference.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.