Help Needed

Participant count
  • Participant list

Sweet'n Low
10+ year member

Harshaw
Hey, need some help.

I was trying to take my amps that i had mounted on to my sub enclosure off. Being the newbie that i am, i did not think to disconnect the power, let alone learn how to. I managed to take all the wires off the amp without any trouble until i came to the ground wire, which i did remove but was welcomed with a large spark from the wire.

Now I have at least one live wire just sitting around and I'm not sure how to handle it. I'm selling my sub, enclosure and amp so i'd rather there not be power going to any of it. I will just be running my 4 channel which I plan to mount to the back of my back seat without disconnect any wires, just unscrewing the amp and placing it on the seat itself. please keep in mind i did not install the system.

If you can give some guidance of how to make my car safe to operate again, it'd be a world of help. Trolls, please have mercy. Trying to get this fixed asap.

Pop the hood and take the + off the terminal

is it safe to? i feel like i should be wearing gloves or something... i used goingdef's method to handle the sub box and while doing that i disconnected the 4ch ground and power. I plugged the ground back into its distrobution block but now i'm back down to the hot stuff. if i can take the + off the terminal i can plug the wire back into it's block then put the + back on the terminal....correct? its sounds simple but the fact that this stuff can put me in the hospital makes me hesitant to make a move. Imma look up some videos in the mean time to try and figure things out

it can't hurt you, the spark wasn't a high voltage arc, but a spark from the heat of a lot of current flowing through resistence aka the small SA of contact on a terminal. you could hold a wire in each hand and be fine, just go try it right now.

Disconnect the negative first then take positive power wire off (the power wire that feeds the amp). But since you have 2 amps (assuming you will leave one in the car) Do as going def suggested and remove the power wire from the distro block. It's safe, but if you are really worried about it just use tools with a rubber handle or wrap something around the handle.

except that it's only 12 volts, at that potential, your body's resistance draws very little(negligible) current, but don't try the same stunt with 120v, or you'll most likely ruin your night lol

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.