help one sub or two 8s or 10s???

i would go with the 10's, it will really add a nice talored sound at the lower notes. I have a single 10" MTX 6000, and I Love IT! I am running 280+watts to it from my MTX RT2200. Or if you want HIGH QUALITY I would check into the Perfect10's. They will kick the SQ you are looking for. Take it easy

Describe vehicle and rest of system...just looking at subs for a sound quality system is a mistake.

What type of midbass will you have? Do you have room for a sealed inclosure? Can you corner-load in your vehicle? How much power do you run to your highs? Where are the highs located? How much power and what type of Midbass?

I think the simple answer to your question is to go big...big usually equals a lower resonate frequency...which means you'll be able to FEEL the music as well as HEAR it. Go to Jazz club...I know that sound weird...but go there and FEEL the bass. You'll see the guys up on stage, and not only hear the music but you'll feel it too...that's the best part!

What about a single 12"?

I once got my ass handed to me by a guy who was running only 6" subs...that's not a typo..he had 4 Kicker C6's for subs...he pulled a 35 point curve and his SQ was great.

Sound Quality is judged in many subjective categories...

You have two judges get in your car and they take over...you just stand outside and watch. They listed to special tracks of the IASCA disc and they look for staging, depth, transitions, balance, center fill, ambience...the overall sound stage that is presented.

In other words, is the guitar where it should be? How 'bout the lead singer? Are the drums centered and placed behind the band (remember, from the drivers or passengers seat, the drums will actually appear out on the hood!)

So, you are judged in these categories on scales of 1-10 and the like...

sounds like you have a good start on that system and if all you are looking is sq then you could try just one 10 in a real nice box to keep your interior nice and your music will sound full not bass heavy. I don't know what kind of amp you plan on using for the subs you should stick with the JL amps and go with one JL10w3 in a small sealed enclosure. it should sound awesome. good luck

my system so far is alpine 7977 hu. jlaudio300x2 mbquart 6.5components,audiocontrol eq and i need a sub, and a amp, and a box of some kind i have about 800.00$ to spend i dont know very much about subs except that the right box is important ! i am takeing my time so i can come up with the best possible set up.

things to concider:

Box: $200

Amp: $400

Sub: $200

Install: $100

You should be able to find a JL amp to match the one you have for that price. A JL sub for that price. And a competent shop to do it...you should be fine!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.